VMware Communities
pavel_odintsov
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware fusion issue with file names consisting of colon symbol

I have latest version of vmware Fusion with Debian 8 Jessie 64 bit inside. I'm licensed user but I do not know how I could fill bug report. My host running with Mac OS El Capitan. I have installed vmware tools inside VM.

And I have folder /Users/pavel shared between my hosts and VM (same path used for both machines).

When I'm creating file which name consist of colon (":") inside shared folder from VM:

touch "/Users/pavel/example_file_with:symbols"

It become broken from host side:

ls -la /Users/pavel/example_file_with\&%symbols

-rw-r--r-- 1 pavel staff 0 22 Aug 14:10 /Users/pavel/example_file_with&%symbols

But I could correctly create file with colon in name from host without any issues.

Could you fix this? It's very important for me.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Is this not a MAC OS bug to allow a colon inside a filename ?
See OS X: Cross-platform filename best practices and conventions - Apple Support
where they say:

Avoid

Example charactersReasons
File separators

: (colon)
/ (forward-slash)
\ (backward-slash)

You should avoid using colons and slashes in the names of files and folders because some operating systems and drive formats use these characters as directory separators. Consider substituting an underline (_) or dash :smileyminus: where would normally like to use a slash or colon in a filename.

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

The colon character ( : ) is an illegal character for OS X filenames. It is not allowed. Take a look at this article and search for "colon". http://rixstep.com/2/2/20070718,00.shtml

In OS X, you can create a file with a colon character from within terminal (e.g., "mv myfile my:file"), but if you look at the file in Finder, it will show up as "my/file". If you type the command "mv my" (incomplete) and press the tab key for autocomplete, it will show up as "mv my\:file".

There is no chance that VMware or Apple will "fix" this for you. It is deeply baked into how OS X works. Sorry, but you will have to find your own workaround.

0 Kudos