VMware Communities
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Running Wine/Wineskin

This may be not for communities specifically because its an  open source software... however i kinda what some advice more than anything on this..

I run Wine/Wineskiin (third party) for easy access of creation of Windows based porting of games and build them in an .app package  ready to run More info at : www.winehq.com

Basically, i am porting all my Windows based games to Wine, after check database on their site their are all supported i wish to run on Mac... So, I thought i would do this "package building" in a OS X guest.. however, i'm running int problems..

On Windows however (Guest: Windows 7), all games run fine, Descent 3, Pray, Need for Speed Underground/2 etc...

However when attemping this from Wine running in Fusion, if DirectX is part of the install, or added later from Wineskin itself, i start the game, however it never gets much further than the opening screen config page.. (aka Descent 3 for example)

I click "Play", the screen goes black, then it exits...

Does this sound like a video driver issue (aka. basically down to the emulated driver in OS X Guest) ?

They all work on Windows because DirectX is included, and i made sure all components are there in OS X "wine" package.... however i just need to be sure before i try install WINE again (this time from the host directly) weather its just die to VMWare Fusion or not..

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

You're trying to use wine inside an OSX guest?  You'll have issues - there's no 3d accleration for an OSX guest.

Just run a windows guest and the games natively, or wine on the host and the games in that (if they work).

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

To add to what dlhotka says, you can also use a Linux guest to test your wine/wineskin container. Linux does have 3d acceleration.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos