VMware Cloud Community
foodandbikes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Moved vCenters, now cannot enable VSAN performance service

We had to move our 3 host VSAN 6.2 to a new vCenter server appliance. All has gone well so far, but I cannot enable VSAN Performance Service.

It was enabled on the previous vCenter, but when I try to enable it on the new one I get the error

"Cannot complete the operation because the file or folder 042bb557-117b-0d4c-dd62-a0369f613924 already exists".

This points to a folder called .vsan.stats.

lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     root            36 Aug 20 05:58 .vsan.stats -> 042bb557-117b-0d4c-dd62-a0369f613924

When I look in the folder I can see files are being updated, so it appears the service is still running from the previous vcenter.

What I need to know is how to disable/enable it, or to make the new vCenter realize this service is already running.

Thx

8 Replies
A13x
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

have you tried restarting the vsan mgt on each host

/etc/init.d/vsanmgmtd restart

0 Kudos
foodandbikes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice.

That didn't work, still getting the same errors.

0 Kudos
alex_bax1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same here. Did you get anywhere with this?

0 Kudos
BFredNC
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone,

Just curious if you've made any progress on this.   Getting the same message on a VxRail.   Will probably open a case with Dell/Emc but stumbled on this thread and thought I'd see what you all found out (if anything).   Thanks in advance!

Brian

0 Kudos
alex_bax1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've got a case open now with VMware. Don't think its an obvious one as we have had 2 webex sessions so far with no luck. Awaiting another call back with more ideas this week.

Will post an update once they hopefully resolve.

0 Kudos
BFredNC
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply Alex.   I'll move to open that case with Dell/Emc today then.   My case was a VxRail that had been setup to use an internal vCenter then reset to factory default then reconfigured to use an external vCenter.   Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.   I'll post back as well with any information I get.

0 Kudos
BFredNC
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Alex,

Where you able to resolve this?   In my case VMware found there the problem was in the new vCenter.   I'm not clear on exactly what the problem was but the services were actually running and updating the stats file accordingly.   We basically had to tell set a different storage policy on the vCenter ... create the stats for it ... via SSH to the vCenter then logging into the RVC there.  Once that was done we went back into the web client and repointed the performance service back to the original storage profile.  All good now.

Let me know if you need more information.

alex_bax1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Yes vm support did the same for me too after a few webex attempts trying different things.  Forgot to update this post with this so thinks for the reply!

This was the notes from my case:

Here will be summary of WebEx:

There is known issue you need to create
- Change with RVC to cluster level assuming cluster is 0
- Create object policy with FTT=0 with command below:
vsan.perf.stats_object_setpolicy -p '(("proportionalCapacity" i50)("hostFailuresToTolerate" i0)("stripeWidth" i2))' 0
- Create performance service object with RVC command below:
vsan.perf.stats_object_create 0
- In web client GUI you will see performance service object not compliant edit storage service policy and change it to VSAN default storage policy

0 Kudos