VMware Cloud Community
ChevUribe
Expert
Expert

Replication Status "Not Active" and "RPO Violation"

There is one VM that we notice that is experiencing a NOT ACTIVE status during replication.

VM has a replicated copy when we checked on the DR site datastore.

We tried pausing and resuming the replication but still the same result.

We tried to stop replication and point it to the existing folder, he sees that as seed files but still same status.

We tried to stop replication and point it to a new folder, Still same status.

We have several VMs that has a RPO VIOLATION status.

after checking, this VMs were first configured to 30 minutes RPO but was later changed to 4 hours.

Both RPO, replication is okay because 30 mins is still enough for their replicated data.

Replication still works but even after successful sync, status doesn't change to OK.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

1. Is the VM you are replicating powered on? VR requires VMs to be powered on to replicate them. See VR documentation on limits: vSphere Replication 6.0 Documentation Center

2. I'm not entirely clear about your issue here. If you have RPO violations you likely need to increase the RPO setting. If you think the error is a mistake, you could try pausing the replication and restarting it to see if that get's the RPO error violation to clear. If that doesn't work I'd suggest a support ticket.

0 Kudos
ChevUribe
Expert
Expert

1. Is the VM you are replicating powered on? VR requires VMs to be powered on to replicate them. See VR documentation on limits: vSphere Replication 6.0 Documentation Center

>>> VM is powered ON

2. I'm not entirely clear about your issue here. If you have RPO violations you likely need to increase the RPO setting. If you think the error is a mistake, you could try pausing the replication and restarting it to see if that get's the RPO error violation to clear. If that doesn't work I'd suggest a support ticket.

>>> when it is set to 30 minutes, doesn't show that status

0 Kudos
law9992
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ChevUribe

I am having thew same issue.

Did you mange to get this sorted?

Regards

James L

0 Kudos
GPVenkatesh
Contributor
Contributor

Hi -

"Not Active" means VM for which you have enabled replication is in Powered-OFF state.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
VishShah
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Welcome to Communities,

I am not sure if that if there was any recent change in the environment.

Important Checklist :

• Is the virtual machine powered on?
  • Just one replication job, or many?
  • Verify the replication state of the virtual machine directly on the ESXi host CLI
    • If it is still active, wait for the replication job to finish then refresh the client.
    • If the virtual machine replication is not in a running state, try to perform a sync using this command:

# vim-cmd hbrsvc/vmreplica.sync

before that

1. Get the VM ID:

# vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms VMID
  2. Check the replication state:

# vim-cmd hbrsvc/vmreplica.getState VMID

Please validate each and every steps below,

- Not Active Replication Status of Virtual Machines

- Verify if the replication job has ever successfully completed. If not it's most likely a port issue (remember initial replication and ongoing replication use 2 separate ports). For more information, see VMware Knowledge Base

- Check if NAT or a firewall is causing the issue, see VMware Knowledge Base

If this post helps to resolve your query please mark it as resolved. Let me know if you need additional information 'or' have any other questions that I can help with.

Regards Vishwajit Shah Skyline Support Moderator VCA-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCP6.0; 6.5-DCV & CMA | VCA-DBT | VCAP60-DCV
0 Kudos