4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2016 4:53 AM by dmcdave212

Resize Independent Disk

dmcdave212 Novice

Hello

I'm using independent disks for the first time.  I've been able to create, attach and detach disks without any problems.  I am having problems when I try to increase the size of a disk.  I'm following the instructions here: Update an Independent Disk  and I'm trying to increase the size of a detached disk from 50Gb to 100Gb.

The vCloud API accepts the PUT request with the new attributes but the size of the disk doesn't change.  When I check on the task in vCloud, it has run successfully.  You can also see a Reconfigure VM task has run against the disk shell VM in vCenter but it doesn't make the change to the disk size.  If I change the name of the independent disk instead, that change seems to take affect without problem - the Reconfigure VM task runs, the disk shell VM changes name and a GET on the disk object in vCloud API shows the new name.

I'm stumped here....   I can't see any errors when I make the request, the task run successfully, the are no errors show in vSphere Client and I can't find any related errors in the vcloud-container-debug.log file.

Does anyone have any experience of this?  Any advice/assistance?

thanks

Dave

• 1. Re: Resize Independent Disk
          dmcdave212 Novice

A quick update...

I thought I would try to increase the size of the Independent Disk while it was attached to a production VM.  I did this in the same way you would increase a disk on any VM (a PUT request with a new copy of the VirtualHardwareSection) but it threw an error of "The attached disks on VM 'MyVM' cannot be modified.".  I thought it might be the case, but this confirms that Independent Disks must be detached from a VM before they can be increased, which is a bit of a shame.

Still, the original question still stands.... why isn't vCloud Director increasing the disk size when I do so on a detached disk, despite the task appearing to complete successfully?

Dave

• 2. Re: Resize Independent Disk
            dmcdave212 Novice

I'm in danger of answering my own question here, but for the benefit of anyone who ends up via through Googling...

I've just re-read the documentation at Create or Update an Independent Disk and it says:

"To create an independent disk, you must specify its name and size. You can optionally include a description and specify a storage profile to be used by the disk. After you have created the disk, you can modify its name, description, and storage profile. "

It doesn't actually say here that you can increase the disk size - so perhaps you can't.  I think I might raise it with VMware Support to see if they can confirm either way.

Dave

• 3. Re: Resize Independent Disk
              Luciano Patrao Hot Shot
              vExpert

Hi,

Check this: Resize & Hot-Add/Extend Virtual Machine Disks using vCloud API - VMware vSphere Blog

Also looking at the VMware vCloud Director Cookbook may help. There is some good examples.

Hope this could help

• 4. Re: Resize Independent Disk
                dmcdave212 Novice

So, the reason I was not able to resize the Independent Disk was that I am on vCloud Director 5.6 and the ability to resize independent disks was not introduced until vCloud Director 8.

Dave