VMware Communities
jerdcox
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bridged networking Issue in VMWare Workstation Player 12 after upgrading Host with Windows 10 Anniversary Update

I have a VM running Windows 7, in Player 12, that has been working fine on Windows 10 until recently. All networking was working and stable. A week or so ago the anniversary update was installed, and today I tried using it with a bridged network for the first time.

Initially, no network available. Apparently VMNet0 got lost in the update. Ran the installer to do a repair, that part came back.

Now, I have a flaky bridged connection. A continuous ping to a device on my desk drops 1-3 out of every 10 packets (request timed out), the same ping on the host is rock solid (1-2ms continuous).

NAT connectivity is perfect. Switched to that, and the same ping is steady (1-2ms continuous). Back to bridged, and it is back to timeouts.

So far I have:

Disabled and then uninstalled my antivirus software. This is still uninstalled until I figure this out.

Completely uninstalled VMWare Player 12 (from the installer app), and reinstalled the latest version 12.1.1-3770994.

Changed the VMWare Network settings to only use my wired card, and disabled my wireless adapter completely from the host machine.

I can't find anything that helps. Has anyone else experienced this, or have any suggestions to fix it?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jerdcox
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

On another forum, I got the recommendation to reinstall my NIC drivers in the host - tried that, did not work.

But after doing that, I shutdown the VM, and removed the network card from my VM configuration, and then readded it. No changes to the settings otherwise, the new card is the same as the old. Now the connection is back to being completely stable.

So fingers crossed, but this appears to be resolved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jerdcox
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

On another forum, I got the recommendation to reinstall my NIC drivers in the host - tried that, did not work.

But after doing that, I shutdown the VM, and removed the network card from my VM configuration, and then readded it. No changes to the settings otherwise, the new card is the same as the old. Now the connection is back to being completely stable.

So fingers crossed, but this appears to be resolved.

0 Kudos
Trobador
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I got the same problem.

I solved it with the "Repair"-option in the VMWare Workstation Player 12 Setup.

0 Kudos
StefanoSka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem.

I solved it with the "Restore Defaults" (Edit --> Virtual Network Editor).

0 Kudos