VMware Cloud Community
JJPPOOTT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem with reprotecting VMs

Hello all,

I am currently working on an implementation of SRM.

My setup consists of Vmware SRM server build 3037005, vCenter 6.0, ESXi 6.0.0 and IBM Storwize Family Storage Replication Adapter.

Pretty much everything is up and running, I am able to recover some test VMs to the recovery site, but so far I have not been able to reprotect the VMs in the secondary site.

After running the recovery plan completes  I am left with my machines up and runnning in the TR site.

When I try to reprotect the VMs I get errors.

The recovery plan fails at the stage where it should reverse the replication.

messages shown are:

Failed to reverse replication for failed over devices. SRA command 'ReverseReplication' failed. Invalid connection parameters.

The protection groups hangs in the status 'Reprotecting'.

From what I found in documentation this should be a temporary status and it should, change to one of these values:

Group returns to OK or Not Configured state when reprotect is successful. If reprotect fails, the group goes to Partially Reprotected state.

When I look at the information in the Array Pair screen, I see these errors:

Unable to find a matching consistency group at the local site for the remote consistency group "TEST-01"

Unable to find a matching consistency group at the remote site for the local consistency group "TEST-01"

In the list of array pairs the status has changed to "? unknown"

I already updated the SRA to version 3.2.0 but it has not changed anything.

There is one primary question I am curious about. The SRM servers with the SRA on it have the configuration utility for SRA.

If I run this utility I get a warning that it is unable to connect to the peer array in the other data center.

So it has no issues login in to the storage box that is in the same datacenter, but cannot logon to the remote storage box.

Since this is a warning I am assuming it is not critical, but I need confirmation on this

Before I start initiating changes in the network to make this possible, I want to be sure it has to be possible to reach the remote storage box with the SRA.

Any help or insights is greatly appreciated,

JJ

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi there JJ and welcome to the community,

Yes both storage arrays need to be seen by the SRA's - this allows them to orchestrate the planned fail over events Smiley Happy

Kind regards.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi there JJ and welcome to the community,

Yes both storage arrays need to be seen by the SRA's - this allows them to orchestrate the planned fail over events Smiley Happy

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
JJPPOOTT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, great, then it looks like it will be easy to plan my next steps 🙂

Thanks a lot for the quick response !

Kind regards,

JJ

0 Kudos
JJPPOOTT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just let you know, after the network change was implemented I am able to recover and reprotect now, also going back went fine !

0 Kudos
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Great to hear and thank you for getting back to the community on this.

0 Kudos
Krishna_K
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi All,

I'm having same issue "unable to find a matching consistency group at the local site for the remote consistency group"

Can anyone help?

HPE 3PAR StoreServ 8440 Storage System

HPE 3PAR Software version 3.2.2

SRA: HP_3PAR_SRA_6.0.0.227

SRM 6.1.1

vSphere 6.0 U2

Br,

KK

HPE 3PAR StoreServ 8440 Storage System

0 Kudos
jameseydoyle
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Ensure that the SRA view is up to date by performing a 'Discover Array Pairs' action (Click on your site > Related Objects > Array Based Replication > Discover Array Pairs). Then perform a Discover Devices action by clicking on the Site > Array Based Replication > Manage > Array Pairs > <Refresh icon>.

Make sure you have followed the steps on pages 23-26 of the HP 3PAR Remote Copy with SRM guide here:

https://www.hpe.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA6-2851ENW.pdf

0 Kudos