VMware Cloud Community
COS
Expert
Expert

VROPS 6.2.0.3528905 - Dashboard security to allow Edit

I'm on version 6.2.0.3528905 for my VROPS appliance VM.

I have several Dasboards created and I created them under my admin account let's call it "knucklehead". I created a group for us admins, let's call it "nerdtopia". :smileysilly:

By default the Dashboards have me as owner and only my account can edit them.

How can I grant our group called "nerdtopia" the rights to edit and fully manage the Dashboards I created?

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
wpskern
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, you can do that at Administration / Access Control / Roles.

Select the role assigned to the Nerdtopia group and edit the permissions on the lower right screen/window.

You can give the group the right permissions under Content / Dashboard Management.

Rob

0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert

The role the group nerdtopia has is "Administrator".

I thought that would suffice but no other admins still can't edit a shared dashboard.

In the lower right I checked the tree Permissions | Dashboard Management and all the check boxes are checked.

The group has the rights "Access to all objects" as well.

I also added them with "ContentAdmin" rights and still no go.

Message states "Not allowed to manage shared tabs"

anything else to try?

Thanks

0 Kudos
KrisztianGyeman
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

We have exactly the same problem (with version 6.4.0.4635874).

Did you find any solution?

Thanks

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

I think this is by design and is not limited to dashboards but also reports and views. The user that created them is the only user that can edit them. I have raised it as a FR to enable the admin/administrator group have the ability to edit all and see all regardless of who created them. Just have to wait and see

0 Kudos
KrisztianGyeman
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.

If it is by design, it is not good news for us.

So I will raise an FR to this too.

0 Kudos
Oulyanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, it's by design. Only user owning the dashboard will have the right to edit it.

Actually, best practices is to use local vrops account (service account) to share dashboards, also you can provide access to credentials for this user for the member of the team.

Using named account could end up with account used to create dashboard being nor longer available and it will be tricky to manage shared dashboards.

0 Kudos
KrisztianGyeman
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, thank you very much.

We will create a user for this until it is implemented into a future version.

0 Kudos