VMware Cloud Community
saintdle1
Contributor
Contributor

Cisco UCS - Allowing a VM to access the direct attached FC SAN Lun's used by VMware ESXi - For Veeam Backups

Evening,

In Veeam, you can backup directly from a VMFS volume so long as you allow the Veeam Backup Server direct access to either iSCSI or FC LUN, it doesn't need to be mounted by the windows server, just available.

I have an environment with a Cisco UCS Chassis, where by the Fibre Channel Ports of the SAN are directly plugged into the Fabric interconnect (FC switching mode configured). The ESXi hosts are able to see the LUNS and use them as VMFS volumes.

However my veeam backup server is a virtual machine, and I would like that to be able to see the FC LUNs presented to the ESXi hosts so that I can do a direct SAN backup.

With iSCSI this is easy enough as I can add a Virtual Port Group into the iSCSI vSwitch, and add a networking adapter to the virtual machine, configuring the SAN to allow access.

With FC it looks harder, I have figured out that NPIV is enabled by the FI's by default in FC switching mode, meaning I can present an unused LUN to the ESXi hosts and the VM, and map it as a RDM. However this is not what I am trying to achieve, I want the VM to be able to see the existing LUNs used by the ESXi hosts.

Thanks in advance

Personal technical ramblings; - www.vEducate.co.uk
0 Kudos
0 Replies