VMware Cloud Community
ChevUribe
Expert
Expert

Inquiries

Hi,

I would like to ask a few questions:

1. Can we permanently set the account recognition for vSphere Replication for PROD and DR? Not having to enter the credentials after browser log off? Some of the replicating VMs is having a status of login required during replication.

- If I have an RPO of 4 hours and then a logon required status appeared, will the replication still be 4 hours or it will adjust after the credentials is entered?

2. What to use for replication traffic segregation? with or without NFC (since there is 2 replication traffic in Distributed switch)

- Can I use 1 VMkernel for VSAN, vSphere replication and vmotion traffic since NIOC is on or I need to create a separate VMkernel for that? If yes, I need that to be a different IP and subnet right?

- I encountered that if I enable replication traffic in VMkernel, replication is not working but if I didn't select any replication traffic segregation; replication works.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ChevUribe
Expert
Expert

UP!

0 Kudos
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

1. See other post about SRM 6/6.1 and enhanced linked mode.

2. See VR documentation here: vSphere Replication 6.0 Documentation Center for how to set this up.

0 Kudos
ChevUribe
Expert
Expert

Do I have to configure linked mode inorder to me not to enter vsphere replication credentials?

With that, I have to reconfigure from scratch and the setup now is working properly.

The client will be concerned that some VMs will need to be authenticated at the DR VRA although some VMs are replicating just fine.

We need a solution in where we will eliminate "login required" during replication and the only solution is to always reconnect evrytime we login to the web client.

0 Kudos
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

What version of VR is this? Where is it that you have to enter credentials?

0 Kudos
ChevUribe
Expert
Expert

whenever we log out and re login to the web client, we saw some replicating VMs in Sync mode and is having a login required status.

Then when we check the vsphere replication to the target site, it says not connected.

We would like that we dont need to always check and reconnect the vsphere replication between two sites.

Client is worried that replication will not be updated with this scenario,

0 Kudos
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

See this page of the admin guide for details: vSphere Replication 6.0 Documentation Center

The remote site is online, but your user session has expired.

In this state, you must enter credentials to manage replication tasks.

Already configured replications are running in the background.

0 Kudos
ChevUribe
Expert
Expert

Does that mean if a VM replicating to the DR side encountered login required after login to web clinet, does it mean it didn't finish its replication in the configured RPO?

0 Kudos
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

"Already configured replications are running in the background."

If you have already configured replication, it keeps running even if you have to login again to view status. Being logged out does not mean that it didn't finish it's replication or meet the configured RPO just that the management interface was logged out.

0 Kudos