VMware Communities
Kirk_Clendinnin
Contributor
Contributor

Creating a new Virtual Machine for OS X El Capitan with Fusion 8.1.1

I've tried without success to create an El Capitan virtual machine using Fusion 8.1.1. When trying to use the recovery partition, none is found. When trying to use the downloaded installer it fails giving the error, "Unable to create the installation media."  An active tail on the log showed no output. It seems a similar problem is being solved for the new Sierra Beta OS to be run. Suggestions?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

That may mean that your machine doesn't have a recovery partition on it, which is "bad".  How did you install the host OS?

0 Kudos
Kirk_Clendinnin
Contributor
Contributor

My machine has a recovery partition. However, Fusion 8.1.1 apparently cannot find it. 

0 Kudos
Kirk_Clendinnin
Contributor
Contributor

My understanding from the instructions given my VMWare is that all one should need is the installation application, downloaded from the AppStore. Fusion recognizes that but apparently cannot build media from it. I agree that a work around might be to use another media builder and load the ISO.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Have to ask - just in case - this is real apple hardware, right?  Not a hackintosh?  There's definitely issues with that (and it's a prohibited topic here).

You should just be able to drag/drop the installer onto the new VM wizard, and it'll do the rest.

0 Kudos
Darcyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

install "EI Capitan using recovery partition" can only be available,  when at least one of your system in the host is EI Capitan.

0 Kudos