VMware Communities
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Windows 10 VM suspending itself?

Just upgraded my Win7 VM's to Win 10, and now they appear to be suspending themselves.  The host is set to 'prevent sleep when screen blanks'.

The VM also prompts me to use apps on the host, even though I've intentionally not done that.

Are both these coming from Fusion tools, or from windows itself.  I'd like to stop both.

4 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

The suspend thing happens when Windows goes to hibernate. Change the power / energy saver preferences inside Windows so it's 'always on'.

For the 'use apps on the host', there's a setting.

VM Settings > Default Applications > Uncheck 'Open your Windows files and web links using Mac applications'

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Thanks on the power - seems MSFT is getting as annoyingly aggressive as Apple on that front.

For the other, that's the mystery - it'sunchecked already.  This is a new, from scratch, Win 10 VM (the upgraded ones don't do it).   Default applications is unchecked, but in firefox in the VM, when I right click on an image and pick 'email', I get a dialog that asks me 'how do you want to open this, and lists default host application as the first choice.

wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I never use the "run on host" option and do see the default host application as an option on all of my virtual machines when I use "open as" in windows explorer if there's not a default application registered for the type of data file.

Not sure why you're seeing the behavior in Firefox, but it is probably related.

The "default host application" (what a fuzzy and confusing name btw) DLL does get registered in Windows for quite a few protocols regardless of using it, so it does tend to come up.

pastedImage_0.png

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Yep, that's exactly the dialog.  It comes up in the from scratch VM, but not the upgraded ones.  Looks like it's Windows being too damn clever.

0 Kudos