VMware Cloud Community
amithad
Contributor
Contributor

What are the Limitations of VMware ESXI 6?

Hi,

I want to implement ESXI 6 on a new server and I want to know the hardware limitations for it. I'm planning to get a server with 20 cores and 3.5 TB usable HDD space. Also I want to know whether I can run 36 VMs on ESXI 6 simultaneously. Is there a restriction for the number of VMware hosts that can run simultaneously also?

Thnaks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
4 Replies
martinriley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi there,

ESXi 6 should have no problem running on your server, the maximum supported logical CPUs per host is 480.  You could check the compatibility list to make sure your fully compatible before installing it though.

When you ask about a restriction on number of VMware hosts you can run simultaneously do you mean in a cluster?  If so the supported maximum hosts in a cluster is 64, if you mean just in general then the only limit is the physical capacity of your datacenter!

Finally the easy answer to your question about running 36 VMs on one host is yes of course- maximum supported VMs per host is 1024- but this depends entirely on the specification of your VMs and the spec of your host, and of course on your acknowledgement that if you're happy to lose all 36 VMs if you lose your host Smiley Happy

For reference, check out the ESXi 6 Configuration Maximums guide for a comprehensive list of the limits.

Hope this helps!

vM

-----------------------

VCAP-DCD / VCAP-DCA / VCP-CLOUD / VCP-DT / VCP5 / VCP4

-----------------------

vMustard.com

0 Kudos
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

As Martin stated the HCL is your best bet to work out compatibility

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
0 Kudos
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership

Definitely check against the HCL VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search . Not enough people seem to know that this exists. It would be beneficial if VMware provided a link to this on the vSphere download pages.

Graham | User Moderator | https://virtualg.uk
0 Kudos
amithad
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

Thanks for your valuable information.

🙂

0 Kudos