VMware Communities
kamiiakbari
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Trying VMWARE no support for Games ?

So gave VMWARE a try, it says on the page that it should run games ?

After a long day looking after my old windows 7, that I later upgraded to Windows 10, installed it successfully in VmWare on my :

Mac Pro Late 2013

Amd Firepro D300

12GB Ram

Intel Xeon Quad Core E5 3.7Ghz

VmWare :

3D Accelerate : On

Shared Graphic Memory : 2048

Processors : 4Cores

Memory : 6040

It seems like it cannot run steam games at all!

This is the error message that comes up on almost every game.

I tried to lower the dxlevel to 90 did not work either (Does not seem it has anything to with the case though just gave it a try)

Any Solutions out there ? Or is it just the Trial Version that is the problem ? If i buy VmWare would it fix it ?

Or

VmWare is not the product gaming consumers like me should buy ?

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 01.17.22.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kamiiakbari
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Been doing some research, looks like for playing CS:GO and GMOD on any vritual machine VmWare/Pararell/VritualBox is not working..

Not either all games work, only some that can run through the Vritual GP settings.

Looks I have to go through a nightmare a do a BootCamp.

Thanks for the help trying to figure this out really appreciate it :smileygrin:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Did you remember to update the Guest OS type to Windows 10 and then uninstall and re-install Tools?

(a simple 'reinstall' won't to, you'll want to fully uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.)

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

FWIW I run Steam games all the time in Win 10 with Fusion. Some games newer or more graphics-heavy don't work, but for the most part I've only usually see performance and rendering issues, not 'this app won't run'.

-
0 Kudos
kamiiakbari
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Could you please give me more information about the Guest OS and how I update the Gues OS type to Windows 10 ?

What tools do I reinstall and Uninstall ?

Sorry for asking this stupid question.. as I am very new to this.

0 Kudos
kamiiakbari
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cs:Go is not that Graphic Heavy as it is using Source Engine also..

0 Kudos
kamiiakbari
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think Guest OS is Windows 10..?

I uninstalled Tools Rebooted installed, rebooted.

Still having the same issue, I even tried to run quite old and low graphic games to, all of them were unresponsive, and newer ones got the same message as in the picture on the main post.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

VMware Tools is a set of small helper applications as well as the drivers for all the 'virtual hardware' that Windows sees in it's little world as a VM.

https://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003417 Follow the 'Normal Installation'

Did you have your VM with Windows 7 before and you then upgraded that to Windows 10 (with the SAME vm) or did you install a new copy of Windows 10?

For making sure it's set right go to the VM's Settings > General and make sure that beside 'OS' t says 'Windows 10' or 'Windows 10 x64' (if it's 64-bit).

-
0 Kudos
kamiiakbari
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

-Guest OS Done

-Reinstall Tools Done

I installed a new copy.

OS says : Windows 10, 32bit

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Just gave it a shot on my Mac Pro and same issue... It's weird, this game should totally work.
I'm going to try some others and see what I find.

-
0 Kudos
kamiiakbari
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ive been trying around for the past 8 hours... it seems like there is no solution ?

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I know this sounds counterintuitive, but try the following:

* Take a snapshot of the virtual machine as a backup in case you want to revert back.

* Reduce the number of cores in the virtual machine from 4 to 3 or from 4 to 2.

There is no functional difference between the trial version of VMware and the paid version. The trial version will expire. The paid version does not.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Thanks, but those things are not really going to help.

Taking a snapshot won't matter when changing VM config.

Reducing cores or adding cores won't add support for a particular sub-function of Shader Model 3, which is what is failing.

My guess is that the app is checking every GPU function at launch, can't do one obscure one that we may not have implemented correctly, and fails with 'it's incompatible' error.

-
0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Taking a snapshot won't matter when changing VM config.

I beg to differ, but I just did the following:

* Took a snapshot of a Mac OS X Server 10.5 virtual machine, configured with 1 core / 1024 Mbytes memory.

* Changed the configuration to 2 cores / 2048 Mbytes memory.

* Booted the virtual machine and confirmed that it agreed with the 2 core / 2048 Mbytes memory setting.

* Suspended the virtual machine.

* Restored the snapshot.

* Confirmed that the Settings configuration had changed back to 1 core / 1024 Mbytes memory setting.

* Booted the virtual machine and confirmed that it agreed with the 1 core / 1024 Mbytes memory setting.

I have also tested changes to network setting and hardware type. Restoring the snapshot will revert those Settings changes back to the original Settings that were saved with the snapshot.

One exception: You cannot change the size of a hard disk in Settings if you have a snapshot. You must delete all snapshots before you can change the size of a hard disk.

I have found this feature to be very useful over the years, especially to determine whether a potential bug is related to the "hardware configuration" of a virtual machine. I can take a snapshot, make changes to "hardware", run the test, and then restore the original "hardware" configuration.

0 Kudos
kamiiakbari
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think there is Problem with Vritual Machine when it comes to the AMD Firepro series..

0 Kudos
kamiiakbari
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Been doing some research, looks like for playing CS:GO and GMOD on any vritual machine VmWare/Pararell/VritualBox is not working..

Not either all games work, only some that can run through the Vritual GP settings.

Looks I have to go through a nightmare a do a BootCamp.

Thanks for the help trying to figure this out really appreciate it :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
xahare
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

the best game performance in a vm is with xen/kvm gpu passthrough, not vmware. but you need a linux host for that. i dont see apple deciding to support dom0 in xen anytime soon. i didnt think microsoft would ever support ssh either, so guess theres hope.

intel has xengt/kvmgt and nvidia has grid. either/both of those could be added to vmware. hey vmware, lots of people buy fusion to play games. maybe you should look at grid and kvmgt

for what its worth, starcraft2 and diablo3 play well in vmware.

0 Kudos