VMware Horizon Community
JuzzyK
Contributor
Contributor

View with zero clients on multiple vlans, connection issues.

Hi All

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction here, Im currently setting up a View environment which comprises of a view connection server, several esxi hosts and a vcenter server in multi vlan environment (servers on one vlan, physical PCs on another vlan and pcoip zero clients on a variety of vlans depending where they are located). Im setting up a demonstration for my chain of management to show the capability of the VMs that are utilizing the graphics offload capability (multiple Nvidia K1 and K2's installed in the ESXi hosts along with server offload cards) and the intention is to use it as a high end replacement for the outgoing sunray environment. The plan is VMs managed through view and connected via Dell Wyse zero clients over the pcoip protocol, this is all within an internal network with no outside connections..

OK so I have set it all up all on the same vlan for testing purposes (and if your wondering going down the vGPU route delivers some truely amazing results and delivers a true desktop experience to the end user with enough graphics grunt for true 3d rendering. Using the K2 cards and running up Farcry on the max resolution settings resulted in a 68 frames p/s and a 3d model with over 800k of faces allowed for rotation an manipulation of the model just as well as some high spec desktop PCs). Needless to say it works fantastically in this environment, but the problem im having is when I move the zero clients over to their vlan they wont connect to the VM and time out and this could be my undoing..

I have googled and cant really find anything of use to me (maybe im not searching the correct term) so Im wondering if this is possible and if so what/where should I be looking? I know the easiest bet would be to run everything on the same vlan but in this environment it just isnt an option. It quite possible that its something simple that I have just missed.

So to sum it up, I need to configure it like:

Servers on vlan 10 (inc view server, esx, vcenter)

Zero clients on vlan 20

** Ill also mention that the vlans are set at the physical switch ports to stop the network from being compromised at the client level.

Hopefully that all makes sense, thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlexeyKhudyakov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi JuzzyK,

In my company we use a network separated on different VLAN's. I assure you it works perfectly.

You said you have two subnet.

1. What about subnet of virtual machines what were used by Horizon View? Are they in the same subnet as servers?

2. Is there a firewall between subnets? If it so, have you made rules that allow traffic from one subnet to another ?

3. Is there an ACL that denies traffic flows from VLAN 20 to VLAN 10 (or vice-versa) ?

4. Have you tried to ping addresses of virtual machines from subnet of zero-client? Maybe it's something wrong with routing.

0 Kudos
JuzzyK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi AlexeyKhudyakov

Thank you for your response, its reassuring to know that it can be done.

Your pointers have given me something to check, I still havent managed to get it working today but my gut feeling is that there are ACLs stopping it from happening. Hopefully tomorrow ill have a little more time to delve deeper into the problem.

I will update the post with any progress I make.

Thanks again.

JK

0 Kudos