VMware Communities
HimsT
Contributor
Contributor

How to Create LAN within Virtual-Machines and Also Prevent virtual machines to Use Host's IP Address ?

Hello,

I need some help. So here is the Whole Picture of my Problem. I have windows 8 host machine and i want to setup my lab on Workstation . I have 2 Os right now, One is Kali Linux and the Other is Windows XP . So the thing is i want to connect Kali Linux and Windows xp in LAN . I am Confused that which Os will be host but that is not a problem. my Real Problem is to Prevent both virtual os to use my Original Host's (windows 😎 IP address. ( when i power up both os and check on internet about my ip address online "whatismyip" it will show the same ip address of my original windows 8's ip address i.e. i want to prevent ) So is there any Solution about Create LAN and Connect Both Os in lan and also give ip address that must be different from original host's ip address.Please Provide Proper Advise . Anything will be Appreciated .

Thank You.

4 Replies
RvdNieuwendijk
Leadership
Leadership

If you select a virtual machine, edit the virtual machine settings, and select the network adapter, you have several options for the network connection: Bridged Networking, NAT Networking, Host-Only Networking, and Custom Networking Configurations. If you only want the two virtual machines to talk to each other and not to the network the host is connected to, you can use Host-Only Networking. If you want the two virtual machines to be able to talk to each other and to the network the host is connected to, each virtual machine having its own IP address, you can use NAT Networking. For more information about the networking configurations options, you can read the documentation at VMware Workstation 12 Pro Documentation Center

Blog: https://rvdnieuwendijk.com/ | Twitter: @rvdnieuwendijk | Author of: https://www.packtpub.com/virtualization-and-cloud/learning-powercli-second-edition
HimsT
Contributor
Contributor

Thank You for your Help. I truly Appreciated that. However i need some more detailed solution about my problem Because i am little bit poor in Networking Concepts . if you can.

Thank You.

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

How do you connect to the Internet? A router that does NAT? A router that uses a static public IP with capability for more (I have capability for 5 public addresses in my cable router)? On your host, run ipconfig/all and post the results.

If you are connected via your ISP's router, the IP address you see at whatismyip is the one the ISP assigned to you in that router. If, OTOH, you put a static public IP address into your host, you would need separate (public) IP's to plug into each of your VM's.

0 Kudos
HimsT
Contributor
Contributor

I just Solved My Problem. As You Both Guys Said......  first I opened Virtual Network Editor the I created New Network Host-Only and Assigned Subnet ip which is my Custom range.

and also Change Vm's Network Adapter to Host-Only to Creat my Lab.. So it Works finally.

Thank You Very Much for help.   louyo‌‌  RvdNieuwendijk

0 Kudos