VMware Horizon Community
jeffrobinson85
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Getting message "This copy of Windows is not genuine" when user logs in.

Hello,

I'm seeing a sporadic issue where users log in and they get a message that "This copy of Windows is not genuine". The VM's are non-persistent linked-clones. This is happening across multiple pools and images. I see this a few times a day and we have about 600 to 700 users logged in each day. They are all Windows 7 64 bit VM's. Not sure if the issue could be related to KMS, Windows Updates, or something with View. I don't think it is KMS as we do have VM's activating and Office is using KMS as well.

Thanks in advance

Jeff

0 Kudos
2 Replies
cH1LL1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not sure if this will help but i had this problem and decided to do the following which worked.

Its possible that some machines are failing to find the SRV Record of the KMS server.

To avoid this you can manually specify the KMS Server. on your Maser Template

Configuring KMS Clients

Manually Specifying a KMS Host

Administrators can manually assign a KMS host to KMS clients by using KMS host caching. Manually assigning a KMS host disables auto-discovery of KMS on the KMS client. A KMS host is manually assigned to a KMS client by running:

slmgr.vbs /skms <value>:<port>

PORT: 1688

so en example will be slmgr.vbs /skms <gb-contoso-01.corp.local>:<1688>

hope it helps

0 Kudos
jeffrobinson85
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

cH1LL1,

Thanks for the reply. I might give this a try. I though if a VM could not contact KMS during Sysprep there would be a provisioning error in View. I may be mistaken.

0 Kudos