VMware Horizon Community
ryan_e
Contributor
Contributor

Provisioning machine never says it's in provisioning mode.

I have a problem I've never seen before.  When I go to provision an AppStack, I assign my clean machine as the provisioning machine.  It attaches the drive but the agent never comes up telling me I'm in provisioning mode.....  It's all very strange. I'm running 2.10, and the provisioning machine is windows 7 x64 sp1.  I've put the clean machine in the same network and cluster as my server just to make sure there's no firewall in the way.  Also, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the AppVolumes server.

Any ideas are welcome.

13 Replies
mellicott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have seen something similar to this, in that the first 'preparing to provision' box appears, but not the 'You are now provisioning' box.

I log off and back on to the machine when this happens and I see the 'You are provisioning' box as normal.

Horizon Client 5.4.3 Appvol Manager 2.18 Appvol Client 2.18.6 UEM 9.10
ryan_e
Contributor
Contributor

Well at least you're getting any signs of life, I get nothing - no Preparing box..... I've tried the log off and a reboot too.  Neither seem to kick the agent into provision mode.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

And the appstack is attached to the packaging machine?? What happens if you do a net stop svservice and net stop svdriver and start the services again after that?

And is this a newly created appstack or an updated one?

0 Kudos
mellicott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try shutting down your provisioning box, and trying to provision a stack to it.

If the app volumes manager doesn't report the machine unavailable then you've found your issue 🙂

Horizon Client 5.4.3 Appvol Manager 2.18 Appvol Client 2.18.6 UEM 9.10
0 Kudos
ryan_e
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm that the AppStack is attaching to the vm - I see that in vCenter and I also see it in disk management.  I've tried stopping and starting the service after attaching the AppStack - nothin'.  It's a new AppStack.  I'll try to create a new vmdk in the template directory and see what happens.  And I know I'm not confused as to what my provisioning machine is - when it's off, it's unavailable, when it's on it is.

0 Kudos
ryan_e
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried checking the service box that allows the service to interact with the desktop, I've also rebuilt the AppStack Template....  Still nothing. 

0 Kudos
cH1LL1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i occasionaly get the same issue - i do the same thing.

0 Kudos
ryan_e
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I've rebuilt everything - the sever to 2.10, rebuilt the provisioning machine, recreated the provisioning vmdk.....still nothing.  Chilli, what do you do to fix the issue?

0 Kudos
cH1LL1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i just reboot the Provisioning vm and it then appears. .. yours sound abit more serious though.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Could you manually restart the App Volumes agent service on the provisioning VM?

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Provision a virtual machine that has never had any AppStacks assigned to it. If AppStacks are assigned to the virtual machine, or the virtual machine has been used for provisioning before, the virtual machine should be set back to the clean snapshot before provisioning a new AppStack.

0 Kudos
cH1LL1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

this happened again for me  - to resolve i removed it from the domain and renamed it then rejoin domain. back in the game.

0 Kudos
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It sounds like you are losing Domain access, If your snapshots are more than 30 days old, you need to keep updating.

Mike_A
0 Kudos