Hot Shot

UEM 9.0 File Type & File/Folder Condition Issues

VDI Environment:

• Horizon 7.0.1
  • Windows 10 Build 10586.420
  • AV 2.11
  • UEM 9.0

File Type Association Issue:

We have Adobe Reader DC installed in our core AppStack, which is mounted for all domain users. (Mounted Per-User)

Scenario 1:

As the logged on user, we associate PDF files with AR-DC application via the context menu. It works for that session and does not save for the next logon.

• Before manually associating PDF extension with AR-DC application.

UEM-FTA-PDF02.png

• After associating the PDF extension, with UEM configured to do this association for the user.

UEM-FTA-PDF05.png

Scenario 2:

UEM is configured to associate PDF extension with AR-DC application. Also have a condition that checks for the AcroRd32.exe file.

Note: this does not work with or without the condition, as you will see in the images.

• FTA UEM configuration for PDF extension.

UEM-FTA-PDF01.png

• User UEM log without condition.

UEM-FTA-PDF03.png

• Says the association was 'Successful', but I get Edge as the associated application during the session.

UEM-FTA-PDF05.png

File Exist Condition Issue:

• User UEM log with Condition shows the executable is set to 'false' two times and on the third time it is set to 'true'.
    • Also the association is 'Skipped' because of the condition only executing once, which is going off the value of line: 351 and is never tried again during the other two condition checks (Line: 259 & 414).

UEM-FTA-PDF04.png

• Line 259 is the condition check for the AR-DC shortcut.

UEM-FTA-PDF06.png

• Line 414 is the condition check for the AR-DC shortcut again.

UEM-FTA-PDF07.png

Any one else having this issue or have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Mike_A

Mike_A
0 Kudos
8 Replies
jahos_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mike,

Don't use the file exists condition in combination with appvolumes. There is a timing issue. The moment UEM checks for the file, the appstack is not yet assigned or the files are not merged yet.

I use conditions based on AD security group membership.

I also use FTA's (i.e. to open .pdf with acrobat pro or acrobat reader) and do not see any issues.

0 Kudos
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thx Jahos for the response.

I have changed my AppStack templates to refresh shortcuts when they mount, but I have not had the chance to change the AS to UEM refresh all after mount because my concern is the logon time will increase. But I will test that soon.

For the FTA, it's only PDF extension and on Windows 10.

Are you having success with Windows 10?

Mike_A
0 Kudos
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Update is my testing.

Found if I set the uemrefresh in 'allvolattached_shellstarted.bat' in my Core application AppStack that FTA's work with or without conditions, except for the PDF extension.

Here is examples with NotePad++ and INI associated with a file condition and PDF without condition.

INI FTA - Successful to work

PDF FTA - Fails to work

UEM-FTA-PDF08.png

UEM-FTA-PDF09.png

UEM-FTA-PDF10.pngUEM-FTA-PDF11.png

UEM-FTA-PDF12.png

Here are the results from the same logged in session and the log images above.

PDF Extension:

UEM-FTA-PDF13.png

INI Extension:

UEM-FTA-PDF14.png

Mike_A
0 Kudos
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Mike,

Maybe this is helpful... .

Configuring a default application for protected file types in Windows 10 | Ardamis

Raymond

Kind regards, Raymond Twitter: @raymond_himself
0 Kudos
jahos_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mike,

When using appvolumes combined with UEM, you should indeed do a uem refresh in allvolattached_shellstarted.bat. It will do a refresh of the UEM environment when all volumes are attached, thus eliminating timing issues. That said, I am still not using the file exist condition. Please let me know if it is working fine.

I am using FTA's on windows 7 and have not seen any issues.

0 Kudos
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Raymond,

Thx for the article, but this did not work and other users stated the steps he suggested did not work.

I have placed an SR for this issue and the File Condition.

Hopefully we can find a work around, Microsoft is becoming even more a pain in our A@#$.

Mike_A

Mike_A
0 Kudos
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Jahos,

First, the FTA issue is with Windows 10 only. Microsoft has changed the way FTA's are created in the registry now. See the link that Raymond_W provided.

Second, The File condition is working for some and not for others. So there is inconsistency in the way these conditions are working. It could be a Windows 10 issue also.

Thx for your efforts in trying to help me on these problems.

Mike_A

Mike_A
0 Kudos
DittoTDW
Contributor
Contributor

Mike A,

Did you ever get a solution to this?  I'm not use AppVolumes to associate PDFs to Reader DC, just the FTA, but if you did get a resolution it may be applicable to me still, since my FTA doesn't seem to work with a Condition set.

0 Kudos