VMware Cloud Community
dmini
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Import-VApp slow & times out

I have to import 7 virtual machines to about 100 hosts. All machines vary in size, are Windows Server. My original script uses Import-VApp. However one machine is failing on import, the largest one. This one is  is 2.8Tb in size - across 6 disks after import completes. Actual OVF size is about 15Gb

If I import using Import-VApp, standard settings then it gets to about 90% then crashes with the error The object has already been deleted or has not been completely created."

We are importing to a standalone host (not vCenter)

The OVF can be imported through the GUI, or thin provisioned through Import-VApp, just not thick lazy through Import-VApp! I have seen a timeout message in the console when running the import,, but have not been able to find any references so far to timeout settings relating to imports, just moves and so on. 

I can do it through ovftool - but have seen a few strange hangs with that, whereas all my other machines import quite happily with Import-VApp, and I haven't seen any hangs / crashes  (7 machines per host). Does anyone know what timeout it is hitting?

3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I suspect this might be a time out on the HttpNfcLease.

You should check the ESXi logs to verify that assumption.

If it is indeed the HttpNfcLease time out, the solution would be to call the ImportVApp method directly, and make sure that the HttpNfcLease time out doesn't occur, by calling the HttpNfcLeaseProgress method in a loop till the import is finished.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
dmini
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've seen a message along those lines, so suspect you are right. However, I haven't worked out HOW to call the methods directly! My knowledge is growing, but this is one area that is still incredibly hazy! Is there a good example anywhere? I couldn't find one when I looked.

Debbie

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I'll see if I can come up with something.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference