VMware Communities
padna
Contributor
Contributor

MacOS Sierra Beta as Guest in VMware Fusion 8.1.1 fails

I believe one or more have said MacOS Sierra as Guest successfully installs when upgrading from El Capitan. This is not my experience when upgrading El Capitan 10.11.6 beta 5  (15G26a). Upgrade/Install process quits after about 15 minutes and reboots with the Sierra Recovery OS Utilities. A Utility option to reinstall Sierra Beta offers to download a copy of the Sierra Beta.

Suggest making Snapshot before attempting Sierra Beta upgrade from an El Capitan Guest in Fusion.

Two trials failed for me, forcing Fusion snapshot recovery back to El Capitan.

Any solutions for installing Sierra Beta other than upgrading from a clean install of El Capitan version 10.11.5 ?

Tags (3)
22 Replies
padna
Contributor
Contributor

Confirming that Sierra 10.12 Beta installs in VMware Fusion 8.1.1 on newly installed guest El Capitan 10.11.5

Steps:

• Create new virtual machine using "Install OS X from the Recovery Partition" (of a Mac running El Capitan OS X 10.11.5)
  • Subsequent boot of OS X Recovery Utilities includes the option, "Reinstall OS X"
  • The Recovery Utility option to Reinstall OS X includes this action "To download and restore Mac OS X, your computer's eligibility will be verified with Apple", (requests AppleID and password for download of El Capitan 10.11.5 to begin).
  • With new El Capitan 10.11.5 as a virtual machine and after installing VMware Tools from menu, the Sierra 10.12 Beta installer may be copied into the Applications folder of the new El Capitan virtual machine and launched to accomplish an upgrade to Sierra Beta.

Successful upgrade to Sierra from El Capitan is also reported in this discussion, Re: MacOS Sierra and VMware Fusion 8.1

I am confirming this in in a separate discussion due to some confusion indicated by vmxmr Jun 13, 2016 7:05 PM (in response to gdhnz) Re: MacOS Sierra and VMware Fusion 8.1‌(Installing VMware Fusion on Mac running 10.12 versus installing 10.12 to a virtual machine in VMware)

vmxmr
Expert
Expert

Note: This quote is from the other thread at MacOS Sierra and VMware Fusion 8.1. <- That thread is the wrong thread. If you want to install macOS 10.12 Sierra Beta in a VMware virtual machine, stay with this thread.

MacOS Sierra kernel panics on shutdown, which causes the virtual machine to reboot itself. I also tried terminal commands to shut it down, but nothing changed. I can break the cycle by holding the Option key and choosing "Power Off" from the VMware Fusion Virtual Machine menu. (The Power Off option is hidden unless you are pressing the Option key.)

I tried reinstalling macOS Sierra beta using its recovery partition. I was prompted for my Apple account information before the system would reinstall the OS. Strangely enough, VMware Tools was still installed AFTER reinstalling macOS. After the reinstall, there was no change - the virtual machine still kernel panics on shutdown.

I am running VMware Fusion 8.1.1 on an OS X 10.11.5 El Capitan host.

BIG EDIT:

I thought I had found a fix by reinstalling from scratch, but the kernel panic on shutdown problem has returned. I will keep you updated as I learn more.

(The remainder of this post was removed.)

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

Update:

I restored a snapshot that was taken just before I installed VMware Tools. The virtual machine shutsdown and reboots without a kernel panic. I installed VMware Tools, and now the kernel panic on shutdown has reappeared. I am beginning to think that there is an issue with VMware Tools.

I have also seen an issue where the left mouse button stops working inside the virtual machine. The right mouse button continues to work. The only solution is to restart the virtual machine from the VMware Virtual Machine menu. Again, I think it is related to VMware Tools.

Additional note: Once VMware Tools is installed, I change the virtual machine to Full Screen. Perhaps there is an issue with Full Screen, but my guess is VMware Tools.

I will do additional testing and report back here. It would be nice if someone else can confirm that they are seeing the same issues.

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

Final Update:

There is definitely a bug in VMware Tools that causes macOS Sierra 10.12 Beta (16A238m) to crash (kernel panic) during shutdown or reboot. It is consistent and repeatable under VMware Fusion 8.1.1 running on my computer, a mid-2011 iMac, quad Core i7.

I believe there is another bug related to VMware Tools and macOS Sierra, which causes macOS Sierra to ignore left mouse click events. The left mouse button fails (but not the right mouse button), and the only way to fix the issue is to Power Down the macOS Sierra virtual machine and reboot it.

I restored the snapshot without VMware Tools and ran it for several hours without any issues. I tested repeated reboots, shutdowns, and more with no problems at all. I installed VMware Tools again, and the very first time I rebooted the virtual machine, it had a kernel panic. Based on this further testing, coupled with my previous experiences, I am convinced that there is a bug in VMware Tools that affects macOS Sierra.

I would appreciate it if someone else could replicate this issue and share their experience.

0 Kudos
IronProgrammer
Contributor
Contributor

I am running Fusion 8.1.1 on OS X 10.10.5 running on an Early 2009 Mac Pro.  I can confirm that I am experiencing the same shutdown/reboot problems with a macOS 10.12.0 beta VM.  I can also confirm that uninstalling VMWare Tools from that VM fixes the shutdown/reboot problem.  However, I can not replicate your mouse problems.  In my 10.12 VM (both with and without VMWare Tools installed) my mouse buttons work fine.  I have a Logitech Anywhere MX mouse, if that makes any difference.

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

The mouse problems were intermittent.

I just confirmed IronProgrammer 's report that uninstalling VMware Tools fixes the kernel panic on shutdown issue. There is definitely some type of interaction between VMware Tools and macOS Sierra Beta guest virtual machines that causes a kernel panic on shutdown.

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

In another thread, Eitan_yasks:

What happens if my VM is suspended and not shut down, is any way to shut it down so I will be able to de-select the 3D acceleration?

You may be able to shut your macOS Sierra virtual machine down normally, and then change the setting.

I assume that you are running macOS Sierra in a guest virtual machine with VMware Tools installed, and you have the problem where it kernel panics on shutdown or reboot. When that happens, the virtual machine automatically reboots itself (or you can press any key to make it happen faster), and there seems to be no way to shut it down.

If you are experiencing kernel panics on shutdown and forced reboots that never end, then you have two choices:

1. Power Down the virtual machine. This is like unplugging the power to a computer without doing a proper shutdown, which is not a good thing to do, but sometimes it is necessary. Select your virtual machine in the Virtual Machine Library, then hold the Option key down and choose "Power Down" from the Virtual Machine menu.

2. Uninstall VMware Tools. You will be prompted to reboot the macOS Sierra virtual machine. It should reboot without a kernel panic, and then you can shut it down properly by choosing Shut Down... from the Apple menu. If it still kernel panics on the reboot, then you will have to Power Down as described in option 1 above.

0 Kudos
Darcyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi All,

Welcome to Fusion Community. Your input is highly appreciated and  help us improve in the future.

For the issue about MacOS Sierra Beta as Guest.

1. VMware Fusion is released before MacOS Sierra Beta, so it doesn't support MacOS Sierra Beta yet in Fusion 8.1.1.

2. It's really a vm-tools issue and we are fixing it in the latest Fusion Build.( Fresh install & upgrade) .

3. We will deliver the new release as soon as possible.

Thanks and Regards

vmxmr
Expert
Expert

Hi Darcy:

Thank you for confirming that the kernel panic on shutdown issue is related to VMware Tools and not macOS Sierra. Can VMware make a beta version of VMware Tools with a potential fix when it becomes available? Many of us will be testing macOS Sierra in VMware virtual machines throughout the summer.

0 Kudos
Darcyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi vmxmr,

Really appreciated your work, we are trying to reproduce the issue.

Could you help to check with my step, is there any different between us?

panic issue cannot reproduce again.

ENV:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Version: 10.11.5 (15F34)

step:

1. Install Fusion 8.1.1 build successfully in Host OSX10.11

2. Install OSX 10.11 as guest successfully

3. Install the VMtool successfully.

4. Enable Accelerate 3D Graphics

5. Restart Guest VM

---

6. Install 10.12  Developer Preview to upgrade

Actual Result: it can work fine. No matter restart , shutdown, uninstall VM tool, install VM tool ,Enable/Disable Accelerate 3D Graphics. No panic again

Best Regards

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

I did what you described and saw the kernel panics, but I deleted that virtual machine and tried a different approach, which also yielded the kernel panics. The problem is 100% consistent and repeatable across multiple virtual machine installations.

ENV:

iMac (21.5 inch, mid-2011) with 2.8 Ghz quad Core i7, 32 Gbyte RAM, 2 TB spinning hard drive, 350 Gbyte free

Version: OS X 10.11.5 (15F34)

VMware Fusion Virtual Machine Settings:

macOS Sierra 10.12 Public Beta

OS: "OS X 10.11", 2 Cores, 8192 Mbyte RAM, Shared Networking, 40 Gbyte disk, Troubleshooting: None. All other settings are default.

VMware Tools (when installed) using ./vmware-tools-cli -v: 10.0.6.1643 (build-3595377)

Steps:

1. Install macOS Sierra public beta virtual machine guest according to instructions provided by Michael Roy Mikero  here:

http://www.mikeroysoft.com/macos-sierra-on-fusion-8/

Note: You will have to change some filenames to match the new Beta instead of the Developer Preview.

2. Run the newly created macOS virtual machine as long as you want and do whatever you want on it. Observe that it does not kernel panic on shutdown and restart.

NOTE: I normally run the virtual machine in Full Screen mode.

3. Install VMware Tools. Observe that the virtual machine has a kernel panic on shutdown and restart.

NOTE: I normally run the virtual machine in Full Screen mode, but the kernel panic has been observed in single window mode, too.

4. Uninstall VMware Tools using the uninstaller. Observe that the virtual machine does not kernel panic on shutdown or restart.

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

P.S. Remember to remove VMware Tools before you perform any App Store update that requires a reboot. I tried to update to the 2nd public beta today, but it got hung up during the reboot phase, because the shutdown kernel panic happens before the reboot-part of the update can occur.

Workaround: I removed VMware Tools and rebooted several times again. It kernel panic'd initially (automatically booting after that). The next time it hung during the boot, but responded to the VMware Restart from the Virtual Machine menu. Eventually I managed to get it back with the latest update installed. Better: Remove VMware Tools first, then reinstall it when the update is complete. Use Suspend, not Shutdown on that virtual machine until VMware releases an improved VMware Tools (beta, I hope!).

0 Kudos
Gondomir
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

I have the same problem with the kernel panic. How do I uninstall the VMware-Tools? Where can I find the uninstaller?

0 Kudos
Gondomir
Contributor
Contributor

Found it.

Is there any date for the fixed vmware version?

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

Update:

I believe that the "kernel panic on shutdown" bug has been fixed in the latest beta version of Sierra running in VMware Fusion virtual machines. I just installed the new public Beta 3 version of macOS 10.12 Sierra. I did the following:

* Removed VMware Tools from the Sierra Beta 2 virtual machine.

* Rebooted the virtual machine. It crashed with a kernel panic, so I rebooted it again - this time without issue.

* Ran App Store Update and installed the Beta 3 version of Sierra.

* Rebooted the virtual machine.

* Installed VMware Tools again.

* Rebooted the virtual machine.

* Everything works as expected.

Good news:

On my system, the Beta 3 version of Sierra does not crash with a kernel panic on Shutdown or Restart, even though VMware Tools is installed. My guess is that Apple found a way to correct the kernel panic issue.

0 Kudos
IronProgrammer
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm that the problem seems to be fixed when running the latest Sierra beta. I updated my VM to OS X 10.12 Beta (16A270f) and installed the VMWare Tools.  I can now Restart, Shutdown, and Log Out the VM and it no longer crashes.

0 Kudos
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I can confirm that the issue is resolved with the latest Beta also. Thanks for the heads-up.Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
dirkos
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I'm also able to replicate the mouse click issue. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling VMWare tools and this issue persists. Also, even with VMWare tools uninstalled, the clicks are not properly registered.

In how the issue is occurring in my VM: clicks and double-clicks are recognized, but clicking and dragging does not work. Items snap back to their original location.

I also tried to reinstall the Sierra beta, but that didn't solve it.

Have you, or anybody else, been able to fix this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

In how the issue is occurring in my VM: clicks and double-clicks are recognized, but clicking and dragging does not work. Items snap back to their original location.

I've noticed this in the most recent beta too. It appears that macOS has decided what the correct Finder window size and position for the initial Finder window should be and will not allow any change in size, shape or position. Additional windows will get just one stacked offset position and size. That behavior also applies to Apple and third party programs. The only option is to enlarge them to full screen within the VM window.

I don't have an iPhone or iPad; is this typical behavior for either or both of them? In other words, is this irritant actually a feature?

0 Kudos