VMware Cloud Community
Jock8186
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to change Symptom Definition from "inherited" to "Local Disabled"

I am relatively new to vRO 6.1, so this may be user error, however I am not seeing the expected behaviour when changing the state of a Symptom Definition.

- I am trying to disable 2 of the 3 Symptom Definitions for "Guest File System Disk Usage"

- When I change the Symptom Definition state from "inherited" to "local disabled" it appear to apply

- However, when I save the policy and re-check the configuration, the Symptom Definition displays as "Enforced Force"

- The Symptom still triggers alerts on groups utilising the policy

Am I doing something wrong here? Ultimately I want to be able to disable/manipulate symptom states & thresholds.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You don't need to disable them. Infact, disabling the symptoms is the last thing you want to do. If you truly don't want the symptoms to be a part of the alert definition, simply go in to the alert definition and DISABLE the alert in the ruleset.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
Jock8186
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Mark, appreciate the feedback.

If I remove/disable the symptom directly on the alert definition then this will impact all policies.

What I am trying to achieve here is to disable 2 out of 3 symptoms for an alert definition on a specific child policy. I have the base policy. From here I have child policies (production, test/dev). The particular symptoms i want to disable are related to the alert definition for "Guest file system storage usage". I want to disable the symptoms which trigger at 85% & 90% but leave in place the symptom for 95% on the test/dev policy. I wan't the production policy to retain all of the symptoms for the above alert.

Going forward I would like to use this method to customise my policies. However, I am getting nowhere as when i disable the symptoms they just revert to Enabled (Force).

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Before I answer, give this a look: https://blogs.vmware.com/management/2016/07/vrops-introduction-to-alert-tuning.html

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos