VMware Cloud Community
tjreeddoc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Monitoring VMs when you don't have admin rights in the vSphere environment

All,

I am new to VMware and vROPs.

My current task is to find the right monitoring product for our expanding network.  Currently, we have a virtual environment and physical data center with routers, switches, firewalls, and servers.  We have admin rights to the virtual environment and all the equipment in the physical data center.  However, in the near future, we will move to a hybrid network.  The new portion of the network will be virtual. We will ONLY have admin rights to the VMs.

Can vROPs monitor the new VMs just as it currently monitors our VMs? Besides opening the necessary ports on the firewall, is there an instance/solution/configuration change(s) that needs to take place on vROPs for us to monitor the new VMs? Is there a better VMware product to do this?  I have attached a basic Visio diagram.

Thank you,

T.J.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
tjreeddoc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

All,

I believe I found the answer!. 

I believe VMware vCloud Air or VMware vCloud Air Network Service Provider is the answer.

T.J.

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

There is also a new licence model that will allow vrops to monitor the VMs across 3rd party cloud providers but is only in certain versions. Might be of interst

https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vrealize/vmware-portable-license-unit.pdf

0 Kudos