VMware Cloud Community
wpskern
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Permissions on report templates & views

Is it possible to give a non admin user the permission to copy an exsisting view or report templates and/or give him the right to create a new view or report templates without the possibility to delete or modify the default / built-in views and report templates?

The user must be able to delete the views & report templates he created or copied himself.

I tried this but as soon as the user got the delete or modify right he was also able to delete or modify the built-in views and report templates.

UPDATE July 18, 2016: I dropped a service request at VMware for this issue.

Het bericht is bewerkt door: Simmetje

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wpskern
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The answer from VMware support:

Hi Rob,

I have troubleshooted this extensively in my 6.2.1 lab environment and concluded that it is not possible to achieve this in vROps at this time and we are looking at a feature request.
I came to the same conclusion you mentioned in the case where as soon as the user got the delete or modify right he was also able to delete or modify the built-in views and report templates.
Even a View or Report created and owned by the local user admin can be deleted by a test user if they have the delete permission assigned to them under Views Management. If you dont give them the delete permission, even when they create a view or report which they own, they are not able to delete it.

Unlike the Dashboards, which can be shared by the local user admin and configured for a user in turn, Views and Reports are not the same.

In order to put this on record, we'd like to suggest to send a feature request. Would you mind logging your request using the link below:

http://www.vmware.com/company/contact/contactus.html?department=prod_request

This is the best way to receive traction on any feature requests or product enhancements you may have.
The link feeds into the various product managers and depending on the feedback they receive, they have the ability to submit feature requests/enhancements for future product versions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You can't set permissions at the view/report level. You CAN at the dashboard level. As such, you'll want to have backups of your default content, or simply have a test/dev instance where users can build content, to be migrated to prod when it's been vetted and accepted.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
wpskern
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The answer from VMware support:

Hi Rob,

I have troubleshooted this extensively in my 6.2.1 lab environment and concluded that it is not possible to achieve this in vROps at this time and we are looking at a feature request.
I came to the same conclusion you mentioned in the case where as soon as the user got the delete or modify right he was also able to delete or modify the built-in views and report templates.
Even a View or Report created and owned by the local user admin can be deleted by a test user if they have the delete permission assigned to them under Views Management. If you dont give them the delete permission, even when they create a view or report which they own, they are not able to delete it.

Unlike the Dashboards, which can be shared by the local user admin and configured for a user in turn, Views and Reports are not the same.

In order to put this on record, we'd like to suggest to send a feature request. Would you mind logging your request using the link below:

http://www.vmware.com/company/contact/contactus.html?department=prod_request

This is the best way to receive traction on any feature requests or product enhancements you may have.
The link feeds into the various product managers and depending on the feedback they receive, they have the ability to submit feature requests/enhancements for future product versions.

0 Kudos