VMware Cloud Community
orthompson
Contributor
Contributor

Shared Datastore for FT

Hi Everyone,

I have 3 ESXI 6.0 hosts with two local LUNS attached to each as datastores.  I understand that I need a shared datastore for FT.  How do I make one of the local datastores shared storage for all three?  When I go to each datastore, it is only mounted to one host....Host1 has 2 datastores mounted, Host2 has 2 datastores mounted, and Host3 has two datastores mounted.

Also, I was informed that I must move the VM files into this shared storage (not copy).  My concern is that if we have one shared storage for all the virtual machines, then wouldn't this make the shared storage a single point of failure?   Any help would be appreciated!!

Octavia

0 Kudos
2 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

you need to use some sort of storage appliance to get that done... Mount the storage appliance through iSCSI or NFS. Maybe run Nexenta or EMC Unity VSA? If it is just for FT then you don't even need a big data store.

depping
Leadership
Leadership

note though, you probably shouldn't run the VSA on the host where you also have one of the FT VMs, as that could be a problem from an availability stance. So with 3 hosts run the VSA on one and the FT VM on the other two. Not easy if you ask me.