VMware Communities
gabrielf60
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Need help on processor support

I need to install VMWare Workstation Pro 12 on a server I will buy. I think I will buy a dual Xeon server which will be used for other applations too. Is Workstation Pro 12 compatible with two Xeon processors under Windows 2012 R2?

I've been looking for this type of information but I couldn't find an answer.

Thanks in advance

Gabriel.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello,

Sure VMware Workstation is not limited to one processor, having two processors is no issue and will work just fine.

Windows Server 2012 R2 as host OS is also supported, see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2129859

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello,

Sure VMware Workstation is not limited to one processor, having two processors is no issue and will work just fine.

Windows Server 2012 R2 as host OS is also supported, see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2129859

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
jiml888
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Why would you want to run Workstation on a server?  If I am not mistaken, Workstation requires a GUI, which is unlikely to be present on a server (unless a Windows server of course), and Workstation provides a lot of features you would not ordinarily need on a server.  Hence the name "Workstation".

0 Kudos
gabrielf60
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As I mentioned, I will use Windows Server. And the answer is basically the cost. I will virtualize several workstations and everything will run on a small business shop.

0 Kudos
gabrielf60
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your answer. I appreciate your answer.

G.

0 Kudos