VMware Cloud Community
SeanM_C6
Contributor
Contributor

VMware vSphere Client Connection errors

Hello gang,

Was hoping to get some help with my VSphere Client, I have done a bit of google searching but not yet found the reason for my issue. First we are on version 5.5 and there are two other computers in our department, one windows 7 and one windows 10 that have no issues with running the vSphere client. I am on windows 10, and have always had errors since I first loaded it on my laptop. I get the following:

Could not Connect

vSphere Client could not connect to X.x.x.x.

An unknown connection error occurred. (There request failed because of a connection failure. (unable to connect to the remote server.)

I have tried to run the program with the compatibility tool using admin rights, same error, enabled IIS services, at one point got prompted about a certificate and I told it to install it, so I went back to the registry entry and removed that as it did not help, have have uninstalled the program and removed registry entries, rebooted, and done a fresh install, no luck. Yesterday I was installing some windows updates and after it was done, for some unknown reason the program launched and worked, now today when I booted back up same error is back. I am kinda confused on this one so if anyone can help that would be very much appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
raghavhere
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Sean,

Login into vCenter server and check if vcenter server service is running or not.If not running try to start it. VMs does not need vCenter service to run.

cmd>services.msc>check vmware vcenter service

0 Kudos
SeanM_C6
Contributor
Contributor

First off, thank you for the response it is nice to get some help here.

I have logged into our VCenter server and the VMware vcenter server service was running, I restarted it, and having the same issue, I am almost to the point of wiping my computer which will be an enormous task just to get this one piece of software to work.

I am convinced it is something on my local laptop that is the issue as other computers in the environment do not experience the issue.

0 Kudos
NetworkNerd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What if, as a starting point, you download the latest version of the VSphere Client from VMWare's website?  It should still allow you to connect to and manage hosts on older versions of ESXi as well as your VCenter instance from what I understand.

0 Kudos
SeanM_C6
Contributor
Contributor

Downloaded latest version, uninstalled current version, rebooted, and tried again. I have attached the results VM1 is the screenshot of it wanting to update files upon first run on the latest version, VM2 shows The update download being completed, VM3 shows it reinstalling the prior 5.5 version again, VM4 shows my error message that I always get.

0 Kudos
NetworkNerd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not seeing the screenshots you mention in this post (VM1, VM2, etc.).

0 Kudos
SeanM_C6
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry NetworkNerd I no longer have the screen shots, weird as I see them just fine in my browser, even prior to logging in to the site.

Basically I put the newer version on and it went and installed the prior version upon launch and got right back to the same error screen I always get about "An unknown connection error occurred."

I keep thinking what about a bad certificate installed or something corrupt in the registry relating to the client, any ideas on that front?

0 Kudos