VMware Cloud Community
jacton
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Cluster v5.1 Enterprise to *new* vCenter Cluster 6.0 Essentials Plus

We are currently planning on making a move from Enterprise 5.1 to Essentials Plus 6.0.

I've been looking at doing this type of "Move". I'm hoping When we deploy our new vCenter cluster we can easily move all the VMGuests from the old vCenter 5.1 (Enterprise License) to vCenter 6.0 (Essentials Plus License)

I can provide indepth details if needed, but basically at the end of the day i'm just hoping we can migrate the guests from vCenter 5.1 enterprise to vCenter 6.0 essentials while both centers are up and running.

Thanks for your help and feed back!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vHaridas
Expert
Expert

Hi,

You can do the migration. Before you start migration process make sure you are not using any features in 5.1 which is not supported by vCenter 6 Essentials Plus.

Compare vSphere and vSphere with Operations Management Editions | United States

If you are suing DRS or dvSwitch, then while Host and VMs are in 5.1 you need go away from it and then migrate Host and Vms to new vCenter.

Once you are ready, you can disconnect Host from vCenter 5.1 and add Host in new vCenter 6.

Then upgrade ESXi Hos to ESXi 6 and apply new License key.

Thanks,

Haridas

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
0 Kudos
LucianoPatrão

Hi,

Are you creating a new vCenter, or upgrading the existing one??

Upgrading all hosts and VMs will have no impact. Then you will need to upgrade the ESXi hosts, VMware tools and HW version in the VMs.

If you are building a new one, and you need to migrate all Hosts and VMs to the new one, then exist some scripts that those these tasks automatically.

Luciano Patrão

VCP-DCV, VCAP-DCV Design 2023, VCP-Cloud 2023
vExpert vSAN, NSX, Cloud Provider, Veeam Vanguard
Solutions Architect - Tech Lead for VMware / Virtual Backups

0 Kudos