VMware Communities
lse123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

convert an os x running os mac to a virtual machine in order to run in Fusion

Fusion has functionality of vmware converter app for win or linux , that's to convert an os x running os mac to a virtual machine in order to run in Fusion. ..?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

P2V  -  Physical-to-Virtual

search on p2v fusion OSX

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Can't be done.

You can however create a new VM and use Time Machine or Migration Assistant to migrate apps and data.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
lse123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So you mean... when install Fusion can creare mac new vm inside Fusion by diwnload macOS image from within Fusion automatically?

Fusion 8 is for 3 Macs??

0 Kudos
lse123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

In addition please give urls installing ESXi within Fusion?

0 Kudos
mini2008
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Ise,

Here is a KB about Fusion 7, Installing ESXi in VMware Fusion (2009580) | VMware KB, hope it is helpful for your question.

0 Kudos
lse123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VmWare ESXi free version run also inside free Vmware Player 7.0.3... ?

0 Kudos
lse123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Well

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hmm... maybe.

Technically it might work, but VMware Player does not have any options for you to create a VMware ESXi virtual machine.

If you select another guest OS when creating it then your ESXi VM will be crippled if you can even get it to run.

To get past that you either have to create the VM in another VMware product or hand-edit the vmx file.

VMware workstation has support for ESXi based VMs as has Fusion.

This is all assuming that I understand your question as it is a bit unclear and besides that you are asking it in the wrong forum (this is the Fusion forum, not the VMware Player forum, nor the nested Virtualization forum)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

check out http://superuser.com/questions/336393/can-i-convert-my-os-x-lion-into-a-vmware-virtual-machine

The technique is valid across releases, VMWare Fusion and OS X

0 Kudos