VMware Communities
Thumpr
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 12 Pro to Player or Player to Pro - can the images be installed

^^^ Installed may not be the right language but I mean can I create virtual servers and then load them between the versions.

So I have been using a really old copy of VMWare Server, back when it was free to run.  I have another new workstation with Windows 7 Pro OS installed.  I now want to install either VMWare Workstation 12 Player or Workstation 12 Pro.  As the sales support cannot answer certain questions so that I can determine whether to purchase Player or Pro I figured I would install the "Test" version of Pro and have a run with it.  If I find that I cannot justify using the additional features then I will download Player.  But in either case I plan on purchasing a version of Workstation 12.

My questions are:

1. If I create virtual servers in Workstation 12 Pro test software can I then "install" the images in a new installation of Workstation 12 Player that is licensed? 
    Trying to find out if I take the time to configure and set-up some virtual servers if I need to plan on throwing away all my work if I "downgrade" from Pro to Player.
    The same goes for the reverse - so Player test software and then install Pro licensed program.
  2. If I create virtual servers in Workstation 12 Pro test software can I then just install a license file if I purchase the full program and continue to use all the virtual servers that I have created?
    The same goes for if I were to do this in Workstation 12 Player.

Thanks for any and all responses.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
frodo
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for using WS.

for your questions:
1. The virtual machine you created with Workstation can be played with Workstation Player.  that's means you can use the Virtual Machine in Player.

2. Yes, you can choose any time to input the purchased license. the VM can be used.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Yes to both questions as the other reply already mentioned.

The one thing I'd add is that VMware Workstation Pro also comes with VMware Workstation Player installed (it is part of the package)

Once your Workstation Pro trial runs out, you can keep on using VMware Player.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos