VMware Cloud Community
RajuVCP
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Failed to create journal file provider: failer to write header to /var/log/vmware/journal

Hi All,

Not sure if any one came across such error message, I am doing storage migration for my VM in cluster. I saw the error message

"A general system error occurred : failed to create journal file provider : failer to write header to /var/log/VMware/journal/1465822009.7:error writing file. there is no space lef on the device"

Am not sure what is the error about.. I checked the local datastore where my esxi is installed it had enough space.

Does anyone came across such error.. if yes that is the steps performed to resolve the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Raju Gunnal VCP 4, VCP 5, VTSP 4, VTSP 5, ITIL V3 http://www.techtosolution.com
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Tony1971
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

We have the same issue since about a week back.

We have checked all storages and inodes and all is looking good but we still get the issue...sometimes, not always.

Did you solve it or do you still have the issue?

/Tony

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

can you run command vdf -h and share the output?

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
Tony1971
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am not allowed to perform that command in vCenter server.

But in all ESXi hosts I could do it.

Two hosts the "var" is about 56%, see attached picture. But in all other hosts it was about 2%.

Can it be an issue in the two hosts even if it is about 50% ?

2018-09-18_11-39-02.png

If so. What should I look for to remove ?

/Tony

0 Kudos
Tony1971
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The issue was related to the two ESXi 6.0 hosts.

Since vMotion did not work we weren't able to put the hosts in Mant. Mode so we powered off them both the hard way and let HA put them on other hosts. All worked as designed.

I googled a bit about the /var/run/ sfcb and I found this article: ESXi 5.5/6.x bug HPE CIM – /var/run/sfcb inode table of its ramdisk is full | Grand Portion Technolo...  and this VMware Knowledge Base maybe it can help others out there.

/Tony

0 Kudos