VMware Cloud Community
DanielFischer
Contributor
Contributor

Thin Provisioned Storage Switches to Thick Provisioned Eager Zeroed

I have an NFS connected datastore which is hosted on a MacMini (running El Capitan). All authentications are anonymous and mapped to a designated NFS user.

When I create a virtual machine, I do not have the option of choosing my provisioning type; thin provisioning is automatically selected. When I choose to edit virtual machine settings before creation, the virtual disk shows thin provisioning. However, as soon as the virtual machine is created, when I check the disk settings, thick provisioning with eager zeroing is selected.

How do I prevent this? Is this a problem with NFS or with ESXi6 specifically?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
thecloudxpert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This maybe one for William Lam (@lamw) as he has plenty of articles on MacMini labs.

On my SYNOLOGY DS1815+ NAS i needed to install the manufacturer VIB for support of Thin Provisioning with NFS into my ESXi6 image. 

I would suggest, if it is technically possible, then this would be the route you need to take.

If you find the VIB or offline bundle to support that feature then check out my article http://thecloudxpert.net/vmware/creating-a-custom-vmware-vsphere-6-0-esxi-image-using-powercli/

0 Kudos