VMware Communities
fabiolanza
Contributor
Contributor

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

Hi,

I have VMware Workstation Pro 12 running on a Windows 7 Workstation with 4 drives:

1- OS Volume; 2- Data Volume; 3- Backup Volume (RAID 1 with 2 disks with hardware controller).

Through VMware I hosted Ubuntu Linux and have a Shared Folder between Windows and Ubuntu (with SAMBA to the Shared Folders).

The problem is that every time I attempt to copy something from the SAMBA on Linux to any local directory I get "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". I have created another virtual image but I still keep getting the same error. All CD/DVD ROMs have "Connect" option disabled.

I thought it could be a drive not supported issue, so I enabled shared folders in all disks - however I still get the message below:

Capture1.PNG

Can someone please help me to understand why this is happening? I run disk utilities and the disk are fine.

This is really frustrating. Thank you.

EDIT: I tried the same configuration in my own laptop and it gives me the same error message as in the workstation therefore the issue is not related to the workstation specifically.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please let me know how you configured the "Shared Folder". I am not sure if you are using Workstation Shared Folder features (i.e. HGFS) or configuring SAMBA server in Ubuntu guest and access it from Windows 7 host. For Workstation Shared Folder feature, you can configure it via VM Settings->Options->Shared Folders, and you don't need to configure any SAMBA server, Thanks!

0 Kudos
fabiolanza
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am using VMware Workstation Pro 12. I am using the Shared Folder feature of it. I have a requirement to share a directory in my Windows machine via Linux SAMBA. As an experiment when I share a folder through Linux SAMBA that is hosted inside my Linux image, it works perfectly. The issue only happens when I share through Linux SAMBA the folder shared in VMware (hosted in Windows - VMware host).

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I can reproduce this issue and filed an internal bug to track it. Thanks for reporting this issue.

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi there

I am the developer for the Shared Folders feature and I have a quick question.

Thanks for reporting this first of all. It is an unusual request.

However, why is that you require the share to be exported from the Linux VM using samba and can't share the Windows host folder directly via Windows CIFS/Samba?

So that you don't go to one machine the VM in this case and then over on to your host machine and back when you can just skip that extra level of redirection and go the host folder directly.

I will investigate it, but it could be that Samba server sharing our Shared Folders share makes some underlying assumptions about some supported file system features.

I will find out.

Thanks

Steve

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos