VMware Cloud Community
Alelieveld
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere Replication with Guest OS quiescing

Hi,

We are configuring vSphere Replication 6. For some VM's (Windows 2012) we want to use Guest OS quiescing to be sure the application/database isn't corrupt after a disaster recovery. I noticed that every time a replication starts and ends, The VM freezes for a couple of seconds. When I start a ping during a replication, I also see a couple (two or three) time outs. I'm wondering if this is normal behaviour and if not, what can I do to improve this?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This is normal/expected behavior. This is caused by the VSS quiescing and the VM snapshot that it requires.

If your application doesn't require VSS quiescing I wouldn't recommend using it. Most modern applications and operating systems handle crash consistency just fine (think about what happens to your application if the host the VM is running on crashes, or the OS bluescreens, does your application end up with corrupt data?).

View solution in original post

2 Replies
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This is normal/expected behavior. This is caused by the VSS quiescing and the VM snapshot that it requires.

If your application doesn't require VSS quiescing I wouldn't recommend using it. Most modern applications and operating systems handle crash consistency just fine (think about what happens to your application if the host the VM is running on crashes, or the OS bluescreens, does your application end up with corrupt data?).

Alelieveld
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oke, thanks for the confirmation.

0 Kudos