VMware Cloud Community
hkito
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Move VM from ESXi 5.1 to ESXi 6.0

Hi,

One VM, I want to move from ESXi 5.1 to ESXi 6.0.

• Is possible to export all files (vmx, vmdk, etc...) under VM folder from ESXi 5.1 then import to ESXi 6.0 ?
  • Or have other method to convert ?
  • Or I have to install again in ESXi 6.0 ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vHaridas
Expert
Expert

if VMs size is smaller You can export VM as ovf from ESXi 5.1 and import it in ESXi 6.0, For larger size VM, use VMware Converter and do V2V migration from ESXi 5.1 to ESXi 6.

Thanks,

Haridas

Virtual Admin

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

How about backing up the VM on the old host and restoring it on the new one? This method has several advantages, 1. you have a current backup, and 2. you can test the restore process?

There are certainly other methods too. The most straight forward method is probably exporting the VM as an OVF/OVA, and importing it on the new host. It is also possible to download all the VM's files from the datastore, and upload them on the new host. However, keep in mind that this method will cause thin provisioned virtual disks to expand to their full provisioned size!

André

0 Kudos
hkito
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi a.p.

• Thick provisioned disk was used. Any impact ?
  • Any difference from "export OVF/OVA" and "download VM files" ? Which you more prefer ?

Thanks !!

0 Kudos
hkito
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Since different ESXi version (5.1 to 6.0)

Any impact ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Thick provisioned disk was used. Any impact ?

Basically no, but exporting to OVF/OVA will require less disk space and time because only used blocks are exported.

Any difference from "export OVF/OVA" and "download VM files" ? Which you more prefer ?

See above, I'd go with the OVF/OVA export/import. Please remember to prepare the VM prior to exporting it, i.e. delete existing snapshots, set the CD-ROM drive to "Client Device" and disable "Connect" and Connect at Power on".

Since different ESXi version (5.1 to 6.0) Any impact?

There shouldn't be any issues. However, the VM will receive a new UUID and MAC address, so it might be required to reconfigure networking.

André

0 Kudos
Viewaskew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you have a vCenter and/or shared storage or are these hosts separate instances with local storage?

0 Kudos