VMware Horizon Community
MrZeppelin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Trouble installing Horizon 4.0.1 x64 Client on Win7 Enterprise

Hello Community,

i just tried to install horizon client 4.0.1.781 x64 on my windows 7 Enterprise machine with IPv4.

At a certain point in the wizard on the user defined setup page I cannot continue to the next step. I left everything at default values. But also deselecting the extra components does not help.

I do have enough disk space (80 GB) on C:

The disk usage window confirms, that only 147 MB are required and 80 GB are available. And the window does not highlight Drive C: as having too little disk space.

I find it strange that the suggested installation directory is und C:\Program Files (x86)\VMWare\VMWare Horizon View Client\ although I downloaded the 64 bit client. But also changing the target directory to the C:\Program Files\... does not change the behaviour.

There are no error messages to be seen, just the "Next" button does not react. Has anyone got any idea, what I am missing?

I am a member of the Administrators group on the machine. The Operating System language is German.

Any hints, what else I could check are appreciated.

Regards, MrZeppelin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MrZeppelin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello jbudreau,

thanks for your commitment. Our service desk has found a solution. They made me install a rather old Windows Update again: KB3072630

They also suggested to install KB3139923, but apparently that was already installed.

That did the trick, don't ask me why. After a reboot I could install the VMware Horizon Client like a charm.

We can close this thread as solved.

Regards, Mr Zeppelin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmwarejianjun
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi MrZeppelin,

When you were speaking the window does not highlight Drive C: as having too little disk space, did you mean there is no enough disk space? Horizon Client installer will extract itself to temp folder (usually in drive C:) during installation process, this requires additional space apart from the folder it is really being installed into, so please leave enough space for the installer.

Another question for the C:\Program Files (x86)\ folder, this is because the 64-bit client is not a real 64-bit one, so it is cannot be installed into C:\Program Files\...

0 Kudos
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Interesting that there are no logs and I understand that it hangs at the next screen. Can you try a silent Install of Horizon view client

Open a command prompt on the Windows client computer.

Type the installation command on one line.

This example installs Horizon Client silently: VMware-Horizon-Client-x86-y.y.y-xxxxxx.exe /s /v"/qb ADDLOCAL=ALL"

In %temp% it will create a log file if there are any error messages

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
0 Kudos
MrZeppelin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Gaurav and vmwarejianjun,

thank you for your time.  Disk space is not the issue 80 GB available should be plenty. With your silent install method the installation runs up to a certain point and is rolled back thereafter. I found the log files in %temp%.

Here is an excerpt:

MSI (s) (78:54) [11:25:46:379]: Created Custom Action Server with PID 10784 (0x2A20).

MSI (s) (78:48) [11:25:46:419]: Running as a service.

MSI (s) (78:48) [11:25:46:423]: Custom Action Server rejected - Wrong Context

MSI (s) (78:54) [11:25:46:429]: CA Server Process has terminated.

CustomAction VM_SelfReg returned actual error code 1601 but will be translated to success due to continue marking

MSI (s) (78:4C) [11:25:46:440]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIF32B.tmp, Entrypoint: VMCopyVChanPluginRegKeys

MSI (s) (78:54) [11:25:46:440]: Generating random cookie.

MSI (s) (78:54) [11:25:46:447]: Created Custom Action Server with PID 14324 (0x37F4).

MSI (s) (78:48) [11:25:46:495]: Running as a service.

MSI (s) (78:48) [11:25:46:498]: Custom Action Server rejected - Wrong Context

MSI (s) (78:54) [11:25:46:503]: CA Server Process has terminated.

MSI (s) (78:58) [11:25:46:504]: Note: 1: 1719 2: CopyVChanPluginRegKeys 3: VMCopyVChanPluginRegKeys 4: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIF32B.tmp

MSI (s) (78:58) [11:25:46:505]: Transforming table Error.

CustomAction CopyVChanPluginRegKeys returned actual error code 1601 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

MSI (c) (C4:9C) [11:25:46:518]: Font created.  Charset: Req=0, Ret=0, Font: Req=MS Shell Dlg, Ret=MS Shell Dlg

Fehler 1719. Auf den Windows Installer-Dienst konnte nicht zugegriffen werden. Dies kann auftreten, wenn der Windows Installer nicht richtig installiert wurde. Wenden Sie sich an den Support, um weitere Unterstützung zu erhalten.

So what we see here are error codes 1601 and 1719. The latter one claims, that the Windows Installer service could not be accessed. But it is running of course. The installation was almost complete and the first horizon services were running.

I took a look into the Windows system logs to see, if anything went wrong there and I found this message at the point in time in question:

Der Dienst "VMware Horizon Client" ist als interaktiver Dienst gekennzeichnet. Das System wurde jedoch so konfiguriert, dass interaktive Dienste nicht möglich sind. Der Dienst wird möglicherweise nicht richtig funktionieren.

In English: The service "VMware Horizon Client" is marked as an interactive service. The system however is configured such that interactive services are not possible. The service will possibly not function properly.

According to my company service desk there are no policy restrictions as to what I can install on my machine. Does anything of this give you a clue, what is actually going wrong?

Regards, MrZeppelin

0 Kudos
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Did you get a chance to look at this https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/patricka/2010/04/27/what-is-interactive-services-detection-and-why-...

something to do with the interactive service

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
0 Kudos
MrZeppelin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Gaurav,

I read that and made sure that service UI0Detect.exe is running before starting the installation. Although start mode was "Automatic" it was not in running state before. Now I started it and  retried the silent installation. There is no effect. The error log still shows that 1601 error because of wrong context. Nothing popped up requesting me to allow the service to interact with me.

Regards, MrZeppelin

0 Kudos
jbudreau
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Can you attach the two %TEMP%\vmmsi*.log and %TEMP%\vminst*.log files from your failed installation?

0 Kudos
MrZeppelin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello jbudreau,

thanks for your commitment. Our service desk has found a solution. They made me install a rather old Windows Update again: KB3072630

They also suggested to install KB3139923, but apparently that was already installed.

That did the trick, don't ask me why. After a reboot I could install the VMware Horizon Client like a charm.

We can close this thread as solved.

Regards, Mr Zeppelin

0 Kudos