VMware Cloud Community
wattsjc01
Contributor
Contributor

KB3125574 Convenience Update replace VMXNET 3 NIC Adapter on Windows 2008 R2 VMware VM's

I have found a very strange issue. The KB3125574 Convenience Update replaces the VMXNET 3 NIC Adapter with VMXNET 3 NIC Adapter #2 and removes all static IP Address information after you install the update and the system is rebooted. When the update is uninstalled, the original NIC Adapter and all IP Address information is restored. This seems to only affect Windows Server 2008 R2 VMware VM's, which we have thousands in production and about 75% use the VMXNET 3 NIC Adapter. On systems with the Intel Pro/1000 NIC, the NIC is not replace but it is disabled about 10 seconds after logging back on.
On Windows 7 Enterprise clients (VM's, Desktops, Laptops), the update works fine. The update was also tested on a Windows 2008 R2 VM running on a Windows 10 Hyper-V instance and also worked fine.
I have launched a case with Microsoft Premier Support with all the testing scenarios performed and waiting to hear back.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Jeff C. Watts
7 Replies
wattsjc01
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

I heard back from Microsoft Premier Support this morning and they are receiving more cases on this issue and it has been sent to the Product Team. Please see below.

Regards,

Jeff C. Watts

Microsoft Premier Support Case response dated 05/27/2016

In the last couple of days we have received a few more cases with the same issue that you are facing with regards to this case.

As of now, the only fix is to not install the convenience rollup update KB3125574 or if it is already present, uninstall it. KB3125574 has some issues with NIC.

Another point that is noticed is that in all the cases this issue has occurred on a VMware machines and no issues are reported with hyper-v or physical machines.

This issue has been reported to the product team. Any update from here on this would be provided by the product team. 

LucianoPatrão

Hi Jeff,

Just for the community information, this is in which ESXi version?

Luciano Patrão

VCP-DCV, VCAP-DCV Design 2023, VCP-Cloud 2023
vExpert vSAN, NSX, Cloud Provider, Veeam Vanguard
Solutions Architect - Tech Lead for VMware / Virtual Backups

0 Kudos
wattsjc01
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Luciano,

I tested this in my LAB with the following versions.

ESXi v5.0.0 Build 1311175

ESXi v5.5.0 Build 3116895

VMware Workstation Pro 12.1.1 Build 3770994

Also, Microsoft updated the KB3125574 Knowledge Base Article

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3125574

Known issue in this convenience rollup
  • Known issue 1

Symptoms

A new Ethernet vNIC may be created with default settings in place of the previously existing vNIC, causing network issues.  Any custom settings on the previous vNIC are still persisted in the registry but unused.

Resolution

To resolve this issue, uninstall the convenience rollup.

Status

Microsoft is investigating this issue to determine proper course of action with VMWare. To resolve this issue uninstall the convenience rollup. Further information will be posted here as the investigation continues.

Regards,

Jeff

0 Kudos
LucianoPatrão

Hi Jeff,

Thanks Jeff.

Need to send this information to our Windows Team.

Last meeting I heard some complains about similar issues. I was waiting for your feedback to check if is the same issue.

Thanks again.

Luciano Patrão

0 Kudos
LucianoPatrão

Hi

From VMware: Microsoft KB 3125574 Archives - Virtualize Business Critical Applications - VMware Blogs

Luciano Patrão

0 Kudos
2invisionMIS
Contributor
Contributor

I've 'solved' it by removing the vNIC from VM and adding a new one, that new vNIC keeps its settings after reboots

0 Kudos
LucianoPatrão

Yes VMware states that if remove the vNIC and add again, it will pick up the old interface settings. The same after we remove the Windows Update.

But for environment that have around 1000 Windows VMs(like we have) this is not a solution.

Luciano Patrão

0 Kudos