VMware Communities
asearle
Contributor
Contributor

Networking with the VM-Client ... offline

Hallo Everyone,

I have a VM-Ware Player client running a webserver which I can access fine when I set both the client and the host to DHCP: I just run ifconfig, see what the ip-addresses are and then access the client (with the webserver) over the browser from the host.  Perfect!

The configuration here is an Ubuntu host speaking to a Fedora client where the webserver is installed.

However, in order to mimic some live behaviour I need to set static ip-addresses on both the client and the host (instead of DCHP).  As it is I have set the static ip-addresses for both, given them the same gateway and restarted networking (on both).  With ifconfig each seems to have acquired the given ip-addresses.  But, arrgghh, I find I can neither ping nor access the client as I could with DCHP.

What might I be doing wrong?  Can someone point me to a HOWTO on this topic?  Or maybe you have a tip?

Once I get the static ip-addresses working, then I want to get it running independent of the network (so that I can do demos when I am not on-line) but am not sure how to do this (i.e. the PC itself would need to mimic a router).  Do I need to run DNS on that computer?  Can anyone point me to to a HOWTO on this.

Many, many thanks for any tips that you can give me.

Regards and thanks,

Alan

0 Kudos
1 Reply
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Does your Fedora client runs in NAT or Bridge? I thinks Bridge mode is more adaptive to you. 

I am not very clear about your description -- "I can do demos when I am not on-line",  "offline" just means "not on your Ubuntu host?" If you want to keep your Fedora client online and to access it from remote host, i think you can use Bridge mode and access the client from its ipaddress.

0 Kudos