VMware Cloud Community
mmaus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re-install Update Manage Plug-in

I recently had to reinstall my vCenter appliance.  In the processes my Update Manager is no longer present in my vCenter nor is it present on the vSphere client.

My vCenter version is 6.0.0.3339084
I tried to reinstall the software on the server using following .iso files:
VMWare-VIMSetup-all-6.0.0-3040890.iso - seem to go through.
VMWare-VIMSetup-all-6.0.0-3343019.iso - Stated I needed to update, selected to update and seems to have finished.

VMWare-VIMSetup-all-6.0.0-3634788.iso - States that I need to update, but my vCenter is not at the correct version.

I have confirmed the server is running the VMWare vSphere Update Manager UFA Service and the VMWare vSphere Update Mnaager Service.

I thought there would have been a gui application to view the status with on the server, but the only update manager item I can find to click on in the start menus is the "Generate Update Manager Log Bundle"

After going through the install of the server and finishing the update from the 3343019 package, according to the instruction I now need to log into the vSphere of and click Plug-Ins > Manage Plug-ins > Download and Install

I dont have a Download and Install.  All I see is a windows with "Installed Plug-ins" and "Available Plug-ins" and nothing there to click on or select.

Do I have to completely uninstall the update manager server and reinstall it from scratch to make this available again?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
akarydas2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would recommend to update the vcenter using the VMWare-VIMSetup-all-6.0.0-3634788.iso cause it resolve some issues you might face later.

But even with the version you have, you should be able to see the update manager at:

pastedImage_0.png

or

pastedImage_1.png

And if it was installed you could find it at:

pastedImage_2.png

Or if not and available you would had in the status the download and install.

Can you see the below at web client

pastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_5.png

And at services (service started):

pastedImage_6.png

The install path is:

<drive>:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager

And logs at:

C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Logs

Best Regards

0 Kudos
baldnva4
Contributor
Contributor

You might need to re-register VUM with the vCenter server. When you reinstall vCenter (Especially the Appliance) it no longer knows what VUM (vSphere Update Manager) is or that there is one attached to it. What you will need to do is run the VMwareupdatemangerutility.exe found here (C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\VMwareUpdateManagerUtility.exe). You can substitute the "C:" with which ever drive you used to install.

When you launch the utility, there will be an option to Re-Register to vCenter Server. Just select that option and enter in the credential information to connect to the newly deployed VCSA and that should do it for you.

Thanks,

Bald

0 Kudos
mmaus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Running the VMwareUpdateManagerUtility.exe did bring back the option in vSphere web client.

But I am still not seeing the plug-in installed on my vSphere clients.

Update Server:
2016_05_24_08_57_45_SVCServer_Remote_Desktop_Connection_Manager_v2.7.png

vSphere Web Client:
2016_05_24_08_56_32_vSphere_Web_Client.png

vSphere Clients:
2016_05_24_08_55_55_10.160.0.12_vSphere_Client.png

0 Kudos
akarydas2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You connect with VMware clients to the vCenter and not to the ESXi hosts directly, correct?

Brgds

0 Kudos
mmaus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Correct, it just sounded from the instructions as if you needed or could double check that the update manager was installed and working properly by logging into the local ESXi host.
If it now only shows in the web client then that is fine...I just want to make sure im not missing anything.

I recently found this youtube video and have been following these directions and all seems to be running as mentioned in these instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdjX3TUlt9A

Just waiting for my maintenance window to push the "Remediation" button.

0 Kudos