VMware Communities
TilJ
Contributor
Contributor

Copying FreeBSD 10.3 guest from Fusion 4.1 to 8.1.1 results in a constant reboot cycle

I have an existing FreeBSD 10.3 guest VM running under VMWare Fusion 4.1.4 on a OS X 10.8.5 Mac Mini host (C2D CPUs). It's been running fine for a few years now, and continues to do so on the somewhat ancient hardware. The FreeBSD guest doesn't run X or sound or anything like that, it's a little web development server in console mode. The guest is assigned a single CPU and 1GB of RAM.

I've set up a new OS X 10.11.5 host (on a MBP15, i7 CPUs) with VMWare Fusion 8.1.1. I copied the VM over to the new host, and tried to import it into Fusion. Oddly, after navigating to the desktop where I had the file, it was shown "greyed out" and could not be selected. So I did a File, Open and opened it that way. It asked if I had moved or copied the VM, I said copied. It then asked I wanted to upgrade the VM, I agreed.

The VM boots but is only able to run for a short period of time (perhaps a minute) before it spontaneously reboots. I've tried changing the VM hardware version from 12 back to 8 and I've tried disconnecting most of the virtual devices (such as CD, network adapter, sound, etc).

Are there any differences between Fusion 4 and 8 that I would need to account for and change configuration to prevent this from occurring?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Did you shut down (not suspend) the VM and remove all snapshots before moving?

After upgrading and booting, you'll need to manually update VMWare tools in the guest - only the virtual hardware is upgraded automatically.

0 Kudos