VMware {code} Community
manojmpillai
Contributor
Contributor

Planning for migrating plugin from MXML to HTML5

Hello folks,

Our Cisco plugin which works as extension to the flex UI currently and we would like to slowly move the UI extensions from mxml to HTML5. Thanks for the html5 samples that are part of the sdk 6.0. I have a very basic question to start with.

I understand that a brand new plugin can be developed in HTML5 and can be plugged in using the HTML5 bridge. My questions is "On the existing flex plugin can I just start migrating by lets say changing one mxml-AS to html5-JS extension"?

If so do you have a sample where both mxml & html5 are part of one plugin.

Thanks, Manoj

0 Kudos
7 Replies
manojmpillai
Contributor
Contributor

To put in a different way, Can I have a FLEX extension as well as an HTML5 extension in a single plugin.xml file?
0 Kudos
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, the SDK has an example of an hybrid plugin:  html-bridge/samples/vsphere-wssdk-html

0 Kudos
manojmpillai
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you laurent. That really helps..As i said , we are in planning phase for migration. So to continue the discussion further...have another few questions..

1. Wondering if our migration strategy should align with availability of your support. What I mean to ask you is when is the complete HTML5 based front end coming out from VMWare web client?

2. I understand that we need not wait for that and can use HTML5 bridge way of migration. In that case how would you advice us to start with? We are planning to start off so we need not wait for a new feature implementation to pop up and we then pursue the HTML way rather we can start migrating gradually right away. please throw some lights on this...

3. Another technical question on the Service layer. If I understand correctly We have to end up changes on the service layer to support the UI layer migration for sure. Am I right?

4. Any hard recommendations on the JS framework that should be used?

5. Please provide pointers to some documentation links available within the community or outside.

Appreciate your support

Thanks, Manoj

0 Kudos
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

> 1. Wondering if our migration strategy should align with availability of your support. What I mean to ask you is when is the complete HTML5 based front end coming out from VMWare web client?

You mean the new HTML5 client?  It's already available as a "Fling" at vSphere HTML5 Web Client, we update it weekly with new features.  Support for HTML plugins is not quite finished there but coming soon.  GA will be later this year.

> 2. I understand that we need not wait for that and can use HTML5 bridge way of migration. In that case how would you advice us to start with? We are planning to start off so we need not wait for a new feature implementation to pop up and we then pursue the HTML way rather we can start migrating gradually right away. please throw some lights on this...

I am not sure I get that question but I would start migrating the simple views while you are learning JS and a new framework.

> 3. Another technical question on the Service layer. If I understand correctly We have to end up changes on the service layer to support the UI layer migration for sure. Am I right?

No. The service layer is largely unchanged. The only additions necessary for a HTML plugin are the Spring controllers that handle http requests, see how it works in the SDK samples.

> 4. Any hard recommendations on the JS framework that should be used?

We like and use Google's Angular JS becomes it's powerful and is now the most popular JS framework out there.  (If you start now you should go straight to the new Angular 2)

But any other framework will work as well since plugin views are sandboxed.

> 5. Please provide pointers to some documentation links available within the community or outside.

Our documentation is included in the SDK 6.0 bits, along with samples.

To learn Javascript or a particular framework I would use online resources available everywhere, tutorials, code samples, etc.

0 Kudos
manojmpillai
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot Laurent. Will follow what you suggested and will get back with more queries as we move on.

0 Kudos
manojmpillai
Contributor
Contributor

Laurent,

On the second point above...to take it a step ahead...I have a plan to migrate my plugin from the first screen and moving ahead screen by screen. Now lets say I completed one screen. If I integrate this html5 screen as a global view on to the web client "Will I be able to navigate from this html5 screen to the next mxml screen which is yet to be migrated"?

Thanks, Manoj

0 Kudos
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, you can use the NavigationRequest API to navigate from views to views regardless of their Flex or HTML implementation, it's only based on their extension id.

0 Kudos