VMware Communities
Markcw98
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion 7.1.3 on host OS X El Capitan running Win 7 virtual disk

I have a host system using Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.4). The host hardware is a MacBook Pro Retina, 13 inch, late 2013. I am trying to run Win 7 as a virtual machine and the Win 7 keeps bogging down with either 100% cpu usage or memory usage. I have tried loading a fresh version of Windows but it ultimately does the same thing. There are times that it also affects the Mac OS, forcing me to reboot the laptop. 

Is VM Fusion 7 compatible with this version of OS X?   Any suggestions to help correct this?

Added a log file

Thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Markcw98
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I ended up opening a support request and worked with a support engineer today to resolve my issues.   Here is what we ended up doing...

We performed following steps :

1. Disabled Accelerate 3D graphics.

2. Allocated 2 Processor core and 2 GB RAM to virtual machine.

3. Disabled startup and services related to google chrome and adobe.

4. We decided to perform Clean up virtual machine and excluding the virtual machine from time machine backup.

5. Also, as a work around per our resources instead of Shutdown of virtual machine we decided to perform a Suspend and Resume of virtual machine which can save us boot up time of Windows.

Working as I expected now.   Thank you technical support...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

It should work.

Are you using a Smart Card?

I see this a ton in the logs:

SCardListReaders with 0 len failed: SCARD_E_NO_SERVICE(0x8010001d).

Could be a bug on our part, but I thought we nailed down smart cards a couple years ago.

If you are, try disconnecting it from the computer and see if the issue persists.

Also, is it Windows that's eating up the CPU (TaskManager says 100% in Win for some (???)  process) or on the host/Mac? (Activity Monitor says 100% cpu consumed by vmware-vmx process)

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
Markcw98
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response.  I do have a smart card in the computer, but the VM is loaded in on the Solid State drive.   It really bogged down when I tried to run it from the smart card.   I do only have 128G for the SSD- so I migrated most of the Mac files (iTunes, photos, movies) to the external card and that works fine.   I wanted the best performance out of fusion, so kept it on the SSD.  

I have been looking at this all morning- had some time.  The processes that were bogged down were in Windows.   I was able to start it up with Task Mgr running and look at processes that were bogging it down.   As they started adding up, I started ending them and finally got to a point where it was running fair.   It seemed there were a number of Chrome tasks running, that I stopped- so I tried removing Chrome and using Firefox- which really seemed to run well.   I also noted that IE (explorer) was also bogged down- the Windows 7 install I had uses IE 8, so I upgraded it to IE 10 using Firefox.  Then I rebooted and now Win 7 seems to lock up- shortly after the "firefly" screen and it was also bogging down my Mac.   I was able to shut Windows down and the Mac returned to normal.  

So- very temperamental and inconsistent.   Any suggestions appreciated.   I am not familiar with your support logs, but I assume it may have changed since the first log file I submitted, so I am attaching another one.  

By the way- I really use Windows minimally with Fusion.   I sometimes need to run Office (Word, Excel), use the browsers (Chrome docs) and Quicken.  So, no fancy gamers setup or anything. 

Mark

0 Kudos
Markcw98
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Too fast- here is the latest log...

0 Kudos
Markcw98
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I ended up opening a support request and worked with a support engineer today to resolve my issues.   Here is what we ended up doing...

We performed following steps :

1. Disabled Accelerate 3D graphics.

2. Allocated 2 Processor core and 2 GB RAM to virtual machine.

3. Disabled startup and services related to google chrome and adobe.

4. We decided to perform Clean up virtual machine and excluding the virtual machine from time machine backup.

5. Also, as a work around per our resources instead of Shutdown of virtual machine we decided to perform a Suspend and Resume of virtual machine which can save us boot up time of Windows.

Working as I expected now.   Thank you technical support...

0 Kudos