VMware Communities
Cr0n_J0b
Contributor
Contributor

Resizing VIrtual disk (Win10 and Fusion 8.1.1)

I'm having some trouble figuring out what is happening with my Guest OS sizing.

I have a WIndows 10 guest running on my MAC in Fusion 8.1.1 (mac os 10.11.2)

In setting general, the disk shows up as using 25GB with no unallocated space to clean up.  I've just cleaned it.

In the hard drive settings it shows up as an 800GB disk (which is larger than my actual drive by a large amount).

I've gone into the guest and shrunk the volume to 400GB, but the disk manager won't let me shrink it any smaller for some reason.  It's showing 25GB of used space out of 400.  In disk manager is says size of avaiable shrink is now zero. so i can't go any smaller.

My issue is that I keep running out of space on the VM...which i don't understand, because the volume has plenty of room and there is space on the drive and I'm not using much on the VM.

I would like to shrink the VM, but I can't find an option to do that.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Google search:  vmware Resizing Virtual disk

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Maybe Shrink a Basic Volume can help identifying what's causing this.

André

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Please provide a screenshot of the diskmanagement from inside the Windows 10

0 Kudos
Cr0n_J0b
Contributor
Contributor

Google searches did not offer any explanation for the issue i'm seeing.

Here is what the Fusion Settings is showing.

Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 1.33.33 PM.png

here is what I see in the Windows 10 VM.  I used a tool to shrink the Win10 volume thinking is would give back space, but for some reason it only lets me shrink to 431GB.

Capture.PNG

In windows is shows I'm using less than 50GB

Capture 2.PNG

My Mac only has a 500GB drive, so I'm not sure why or how I would have chosen 800GB+ for the VM when I grew it. 

Basically, I'm just looking for "right size" the volume to about 150GB.  which should be plenty.  What I've noticed is that if I grow (use up the space) the VM beyond say 50GB it will start complaining about the disk being full and wants me to shut down and start deleting stuff.

According to the documents (which aren't really clear for windows 10), I should be able to grab the slider and shrink the disk...but I can't.  I can grow it bigger but not shrink it.  I've tried this with the VM off by the way.

thanks for the help

Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 1.46.52 PM.png

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you follow the link I posted earlier, and check the Application Log for Event 259?

André

0 Kudos
Cr0n_J0b
Contributor
Contributor

I followed the link and i did in fact shrink the disk "somewhat" in the client, but it left the rest of the space as unallocated disk.

I'm starting to think that it's not possible to shrink a Virtual Disk once you grow it. 

Now I guess I'll have to create a new windows VM and migrate my data into that...ugh.

0 Kudos