VMware Communities
CaptainStarbuck
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 12 Player and Player 6 on same system?

I occasionally fire up a Windows 7/32bit guest in Player v6/32bit over my Windows 8.1/64 host. I'd like to upgrade that guest to Windows 10/64 so I'll need to reinstall the OS with an ISO.

Since I'm doing that I might as well upgrade to Workstation 12.

Is it possible to have a clean installation of both Workstation 12 Player and the older Player 6 on the same system? I'd guess not but I have to ask.

I just want to eliminate the pain of doing a full migration to v12/64 and then finding out that there is something I still need from the Player 6/32 guest which I can no longer fire up. I don't want to run them simultaneously, or try to mix v6/12 files with the wrong releases. I just want v6 there if I need it to fire up the v6 guest configs. When v12 is fully up and I'm sure I don't need to look back anymore I'd be fine with uninstalling v6 and removing the old files.

That brings up the next question... If I do have these installed side by side, and I uninstall Player 6, is that going to remove underpinnings required for v12, requiring a reinstallation of v12?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
0 Replies