VMware Horizon Community
mrstorey303
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 10 Start Menu Tiles

Hi,

vSphere 6 U2, Horizon View 7, UEM v9 and Windows 10 desktops.

Has anybody managed to configure the above to maintain a user's custom arrangement of the Win10 Tile Start menu between sessions, on a non-persistent / floating assignment pool?

I'd like users to be able to customise their non-persistent linked or instant clone desktop, and have this config persist between sessions.  Wallpaper and taskbar configs are persisting fine, but I don't see a UEM option relating to Win10 Start menus.

Any ideas or tips?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have been trying to get something to work. I'm close to a work around but not 100% successful.

I will report back here if I figure out something.

Mike_A
0 Kudos
chulerico
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there,

Any update that you can share, will appreciate it.

Haven't heard anything from Microsoft

Right now testing classic start menu as an option, settings are store in profile easily and users are able to migrate from older desktops easier (easier learning curve)

Thanks

Sam

0 Kudos
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Okay, I just completed my blog on this topic after figuring it out.

I have been testing this for weeks now and it has been working for this current client of mine.

Customize Windows 10 Start Menu Layout via UEM

I will try to post here in this discussion group.

Mike_A
0 Kudos
chulerico
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mike

link is not working.

thanks

Sam

0 Kudos
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Link fixed.

Mike_A
0 Kudos
VirtualRedneck
Contributor
Contributor

Check out Blog post: Managing Windows 10 with VMware User Environment Manager - VMware Blogs

The following is pulled from the start menu section. I have decided to not include STEP 3 as it does not work. I have seen multiple environments that do not work for this. What you need to do instead is to create a small PS1 script to launch at login that just loops and runs the export command on an interval (I use 60 Seconds)

Sample PS1 code

$test = $true

While ($test)
{

sleep 60

export-startlayout -path "$env:localappdata\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Layoutmodification.xml"

}

That will run the export every 60 seconds. I have been doing this for some time now and it has been running just fine.

Step 1. Add Exclusion to Windows Explorer.INI

Add the following exclusion to the User Environment Manager configuration file called Windows Explorer. This exclusion prevents the Start Menu icons from appearing blank or disappearing.

[ExcludeIndividualRegistryValues]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\StartMenuInit

Step 2. Create New User Environment Manager Config File to Roam the Start Menu

Create a new User Environment Manager configuration file called Windows 10 Start Menu. This will allow User Environment Manager to export and import the Start Menu layout at logoff and logon. Add the following content to the User Environment Manager configuration file:

[IncludeFiles]

<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\LayoutModification.XML

Add the following condition to the User Environment Manager configuration file to ensure it only applies to computers running Windows 10:

0 Kudos
Pim_van_de_Vis

The logoff script only works successful on Windows 10 Anniversary Update (build 1607). All versions before that lock the Start Menu during logoff and don't allow you to export the Start Menu.

So you can use VirtualRedneck 's workaround, or upgrade to Windows 10 build 1607.

Be aware that VirtualRedneck 's workaround only works if you use a Triggered Task or something similar to launch the powershell script.

If you use a Logon task/script, the Powershell script will be killed after x minutes because Windows does not allow you to keep running logon scripts child processes during the session.

0 Kudos
VirtualRedneck
Contributor
Contributor

We are kicking off the Login Script from GPOs and have not had a single issue with the script being killed after 'x' number of minutes. I have been logged into my session for 14 hours straight and the file was just updated this very minute. Is there a KB that can be referenced for the time out for when the powershell script will be killed?

0 Kudos
Pim_van_de_Vis

This is what I've witnessed in a lot of cases: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc940027.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Maybe this behavior changed with Windows 10?

0 Kudos