VMware Communities
crokett
Contributor
Contributor

Open An Application on Host From Guest OS

I have VMWare Fusion 7.1.3 running on Mac OSX Yosemite.   I have a Windows application that I use for work that has some plugins that can launch a Firefox browser and an email client in the Windows VM from within the application.  There is not an option to run the application under OSX natively.  I'm wondering if there's a way to launch the browser and/or email on the Mac side.  This way I don't have to maintain a second browser profile in Windows and keep passwords, etc updated, and this particular application is all I use the Windows VM for, at least on a daily basis. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NonTechyTech
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello both of you,

Welcome at the VMware communities forum.

Ana's reply made me have to check twice. yes same question, but no answer.

Let me link to another similar question that has an answer provided.

I never use this feature myself, so can't comment on it beyond what I expect.

open windows files in OS X

Does that help?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
NonTechyTech
Contributor
Contributor

Hi wila‌,

Thanks for responding but unfortunately it doesn't help since I have the opposite problem.  As I stated in my post How set Windows 10 docs to open using Mac apps‌ I have Open your Windows files and web links using Mac applications checked but it's not working.  I also have a different Mac with Fusion running Windows 8 and that works just fine.  So not sure if this is a Windows 10 issue or something else.   Very, Very annoying as crokett stated in their post. :smileyplain:

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello Ana,

A feature like this depends on a correct install of VMware Tools.

My best guess at this moment in time is that the VMware Tools install on your trouble machine is broken.

Do not try a repair install from within the Guest OS as it likely will not fix this, unfortunately the "Reinstall VMware Tools" from the drop down menu also falls in that same category.

You really need the guest OS to reboot inbetween uninstall and install to make sure that all the files from VMware Tools are in the correct locations and of the correct version.

In short follow these steps:

• Uninstall VMware Tools
  • Reboot guest OS
  • Install VMware Tools
  • Reboot guest OS.

A bit of a longer description is: 

• In Windows, go to Control Panel -> Programs & Features -> Select VMware Tools -> Uninstall

Follow the steps from the installer to completely uninstall VMware Tools

• Reboot the guest (==Windows)
  • Then from the Virtual Machine menu select "Install VMware Tools"

If no installer appears, go to the DVD-rom within windows and click "setup" (for 32 bits windows) or "setup64" (for 64 bits windows)

Once you see an installer, click "Next" until Finish, keep the defaults.

• Reboot the guest when done installing (it will ask by itself to reboot)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos