VMware Modern Apps Community
smpdave
Contributor
Contributor

Photon DHCP not working correctly on vSphere 6.0

When spinning up Photon OS (RC) in vSphere 6.0, DHCP servers appear to hand out the same IP address to each VM. It might be related to assigning the "Guest OS Version" to "Other 3.x Linux (64-bit)". I have verified that each VM is being assigned a unique MAC address. What appears to be happening, based on a WireShare capture, is that in Photon, when the DHCP client "DISCOVER" packet is broadcast, the Option 61:Identifier is always the same value, which seems to cause the DHCP server to think that it's the same client.

However, in the latest version of VMWare Fusion 8.1.1, there is a Guest OS Version explicitly for Photon, and those VMs correctly supply different Identifier values, and subsequently receive differing IP addresses.

If I'm way off base, or if anyone knows a workaround, I would greatly appreciate suggestions or feedback.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
smpdave
Contributor
Contributor

Found what might be a valid workaround, at least for my environment and use case:

Edit /etc/systemd/network/10-dhcp-en.network...

Add a DHCP section and specify that Client Identifier should be the MAC address. My file now looks like this:

[Match]

Name=e*

[Network]

DHCP=yes

[DHCP]

ClientIdentifier=mac

neoof86
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tip, by any chance you dont have the Wireless and NIC plugged in at the same time. I have had odd issues on my MBP with this before

0 Kudos
scanda
Expert
Expert

the problem concerns the /etc/machine-id file, you can find the explanation in the PhotonOS documentation

Clearing the Machine ID of a Cloned Instance for DHCP

regards, scanda

0 Kudos