VMware Communities
MDLE
Contributor
Contributor

How to Copy/Paste from Mac Keyboard running OS X into VM Fusion running Windows 10?

I have just started a trial of Fusion to run Windows 10 on my Mac Book Pro Smiley Happy

I am trying to Copy info from my Mac running OSX and paste that same info into any program within Windows 10. This sounds like a really silly question, but when I copy something on my mac onto the clipboard (Cmc C) and try to paste it into Windows 10 running on Fusion within my Mac using (Cmd V) it does not compute..... It seems that the VM Copy & Paste Commands and the Mac Commands are incompatible?

Within my Mac: the Copy & Paste Commands work

Within Windows 10 within VM Fusion: Copy & Paste Commands Work

Between them they don't.

Is there a fix

Is there a secret

I really need to be able to do this!

Thanks in advance for anyone who has cracked this.... Michael :smileyconfused:

2 Replies
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

P.S. Open the Settings for your Windows 10 virtual machine. Click on the Isolation icon near the bottom of the Settings window. Is "Enable Copy and Paste" checked (enabled)?

Original comment below, which may still apply:

This may be a silly question, but after you installed Windows 10, did you install VMware Tools? You can find it in the Virtual Machine menu -> Install VMware Tools. You need VMware Tools for cut, copy, and paste to work between the host Mac and the Windows virtual machine.

If you already installed VMware Tools, then I recommend that you uninstall VMware Tools from within the Windows virtual machine, reboot the Windows virtual machine, and then install VMware Tools again from the Virtual Machine menu. Reboot the virtual machine once more, and it should work.

Good luck and let us know if it solves your problem!

Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

I think you just need to install Tools.

We have everything enabled by default, but it only works if you install tools.

You also don't need to use Ctrl, you can use CMD+C and CMD+V in Windows and it will 'do the right thing'.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos