Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update 12.1.1 does not update

Launched VMware Workstation Pro

Got this pop-up telling me about the 12.1.1 update, clicked on install

After "Finished updating VMware Tools for Linux."

and "VMware Workstation Pro - version 12.1.1 Update pending..."

nothing happens

Also got this "Welcome to the VMware Workstation Pro Setup" wizard-screen, but the [Next]  button results in

"The installation can not continue until the following processes are shutdown: vmware.exe"

Cancel results in a warning:

"Are you sure you want to cancel VMware Workstation Pro installation?"

Now what?

Seems to me the installation procedure needs some improvement?

=

SnagIt-28042016 064119.png

SnagIt-28042016 064248.png

=

later

closed VM

downloaded VMware-workstation-full-12.1.1-3770994.exe (308MB)

and went on to install that

things went fine uptil I selected VMTools update

=

SnagIt-28042016 070559.png

SnagIt-28042016 070619.png

SnagIt-28042016 070628.png

SnagIt-28042016 071313.png

nothing happens... after 7 minutes waiting.

SnagIt-28042016 071532.png

Guess this may also require some improvement?

Oh .. and when cancelling the VMTools update window remains open.

No way to cancel that is impossible and even bringing up the 'task manager' is impossible!

SnagIt-28042016 072110.png

0 Kudos
7 Replies
piggyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just a quick replay to say on here everything went fine even if my upgrade happened under standard user account. I had to type administrative password and I did close all the running virtual machines and then everything went fine even under standard user account.

In the past I always had to be under an administrative account to be able to install and live update my copy of VMware Workstation.

You should try to run the update under an Administrative account if you always didn't, even if for me this wasn't necessary to have a smooth upgrade.

My host is Windows 10 version 10.0.10586.

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for reporting the issue. Which version of Workstation and Tools are you using? And your host operating system and guest operating system?

For Workstation upgrade, when you are asked to shutdown the process: vmware.exe, please close Workstation UI and continue installation. Then it will succeed. I do agree we need improvement about this installer.

For tools upgrade, it indeed indicates some issue. Will you please wait for more time and see what happens? When it finishes, please upload tools installation logs (vminst*.log and vmmsi*.log under %temp% folder). For workaround, you might try uninstall tools firstly and then reinstall tools.

0 Kudos
DonGolden
Contributor
Contributor

I am having a similar problem with the 12.1.1 upgrade.   I am running 12.0.0 on Window 10 64 bit.

When I started WSP I got the upgrade popup, which I accepted.   The upgrade downloaded and started.   It asked me to exit WSP, which I did.   The upgrade then ran for a while and reached a point where it could not initialize services.   I tried 'retry' to no success, I tried 'ignore' and it rolled back the installation.   At this point WSP 12.0.0 was GONE!!!!!

I did the Microsoft thing; RETRY.

I rebooted, reinstalled 12.0.0 - and ran thru the upgrade again - with another failure.

Then I tried to find the 'dregs' of WSP 12.0.0  so I could manually remove them and was unsuccessful.  

I downloaded WSP 12.1.1 and tried a clean install of it and that fails also.  

0 Kudos
DonGolden
Contributor
Contributor

I have been screwing around with this for a couple of hours.   Reverting to 12.0.0 - seems to have made some other problems surface.   My VM's on 12.0.0 cannot see USB devices on the host.

VMware has released a product without adequate testing!!!!   And their website does not allow us to submit bugs against it.

0 Kudos
DonGolden
Contributor
Contributor

Removing WSP 12.0.0 and removing VMwareConverter followed by a reboot allowed 12.1.1 to install.   Now, does it work?

0 Kudos
piggyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If install/upgrade fails there is also the option to run the VMware Install Cleanup and retry. Obviously with the cleanup you loose every personal configuration. It will wipe everything VMware from your registry.

0 Kudos
thewul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FWIW:

My workaround:

run the update again, but select the 2nd option when installing: "Do not close applications. A reboot will be required".

With me everything went fine then.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos