VMware Cloud Community
Curley89
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Moving hypervisor to USB instead of datastore

Currently running vSphere 5.5 which will be upgraded to 6.0 over the weekend. It is currently booting from a local datastore on the host but is it possible to move this to boot from USB or will a fresh install on the USB be required?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrianNorth8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You will need a fresh install.

But you can make a host profile before the reinstall, then install 5.5 to the usb, apply the host profile and then finally upgrade to esxi 6.

In recent times times I have started using dhcp for all my esxi hosts which makes rebuilding or deploying new very easy.  You just need a dhcp reservation and forward and reverse dns entries.  Iscsi, v motion interfaces don't need static entries.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
BrianNorth8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You will need a fresh install.

But you can make a host profile before the reinstall, then install 5.5 to the usb, apply the host profile and then finally upgrade to esxi 6.

In recent times times I have started using dhcp for all my esxi hosts which makes rebuilding or deploying new very easy.  You just need a dhcp reservation and forward and reverse dns entries.  Iscsi, v motion interfaces don't need static entries.